Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Die Spreeus (kykNET) - subtitles

7 REPLIES 7
BoxOffice

Re: Die Spreeus (kykNET) - subtitles

@TebogoM_DStv1 wrote:

We bought the content with the subtitles already burnt into the content. We cannot add that option. 

Subtitles are to me a serious distraction. Although I fully support  subtitles for hearing impaired viewers MC should seriously considering specifying when ordering programs that subtitles should be coded to make use of the ability of the decoders to switch it off.    

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
Trending

Thanks for trying to assist but my question is not being answered...what I wanted to know was WHY...

Why was it manufactured this way or WHY was it bought this way when decoders support the alternative option allowing for it to be switched on/off.

I have now established that it is available on ShowMax without these subtitles (so it wasn't manufactured this way) so I will watch it there instead of on kykNET. I can assure you that it is putting off many people in the way it is currently being shown (social media) so a bad decision was made. I fully support hearing impaired sub-titles but not hard-coded into content.

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).

We bought the content with the subtitles already burnt into the content. We cannot add that option. 

Trending

Thank you - I realise that @TebogoM_DStv1 - my question was why it was done this way (embedded) and not in the way that it can be switched on and off since the functionality is available on all decoders? Smiley LOL 

That way hearing impaired people (or English people) can switch it on and other Afrikaans viewers can watch without it - everybody wins.

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).

These subtitles are embedded on the program and it is not the ones that you can activate or deactivate using the decoder remote. They will remain in the program even if the subtitle option is deactivated.

Trending

@TebogoM_DStv1 wrote:

Firstly it is burnt in because we don’t currently have the functionality on the decoder to switch the SDH on and off.

Thank you for the reply @TebogoM_DStv1 but I don't quite understand - all decoders have options to turn subtitles on and off? I have personally switched it on once or twice on movies and series where it was available to see what it looks like.

Hi krugie

Certain content on kykNET has subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing burnt into the content.  Firstly it is burnt in because we don’t currently have the functionality on the decoder to switch the SDH on and off.  We are working towards this.  kykNET wants as many as possible viewers to enjoy its content, and series such as Die Spreeus should be enjoyed by all.  In this series, which is largely driven by plot pertinent sound, we thought it would make it more accessible for all viewers.

Trending

Die Spreeus (kykNET) - subtitles

So I recorded the first episode of the new Afrikaans thriller Die Spreeus on kykNET last night but the episode has hearing-impaired subtitles hard-coded into the broadcast? @Julia_DStv1 - can you please follow up as to whether this was a broadcast error or whether this is going to be the case every week?

I have no problem with normal English sub-titles but the hearing-impaired ones are really distracting. Every noise and sound is being described on the screen. And the Explora has a specific feature to turn sub-titles on or off - why is this not being used? Even more so on a locally produced show? It will be unforgivable it it was  produced  this way!? Even normal English subtitles should have the option of turning them on or off - we are not living in the 90s.