Welcome to Local

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Friday's Pow Pow with the Media: DStv wants to do away satellite connections to its decoders.

9 REPLIES

Re: Friday's Pow Pow with the Media: DStv wants to do away satellite connections to its decoders.

@krugie There were no other announcements on the day. If there’s something coming up on your side we always available to help.

BoxOffice

Re: Friday's Pow Pow with the Media: DStv wants to do away satellite connections to its decoders.

Thank you @Cya_DStv1 - are you able to provide any info on announcements that were made - for example the channels changing over to HD. We know of TNT and I read somewhere about  Zee - are there others? Any other exciting announcements that can be shared?

Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).

Hi @krugie & @GeoffD

We have not issued any press release on this matter, but from what I’m able to see, there was a “reading between the lines” following on from last Friday’s media showcase that took place at Multichoice. There are no plans to replace our satellite service. Our position on the matter is as follows:

“We are constantly innovating to ensure that we are able to provide our customers with a world-class entertainment experience that is delivered whenever, wherever they want. This includes offering technology solutions that provide access to our video and entertainment offering, to make it easier for our customers to access our content when it suits them. We have many plans in our innovation pipeline, of which an online-only service is just one. The intention is not to replace our highly successful satellite service, but to offer an additional, online-only service, as part of our future offering. The technology is currently being developed and we will keep our customers and the public informed as we progress further on this journey."

Highlighted
BoxOffice

It was on SABC Morning Live this morning. Discussions regarding various newspaper reports that covered the Friday event. Even some discussion between the presenters.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
BoxOffice

@Cya_DStv1 is there an announcement posted anywhere or info available with a summary of everything that was announced on Friday?

Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).

Will check it out, thanks.

Doccie

702 was just discussing it during the midday report with Xolani Gwala.  If you stream or wait for the podcast (for future ref: Monday 2018/11/26) you'll get an idea what it is all about.

Hi @GeoffD

Just tried sourcing for these articles, may you please share if these were in traditional publications or on any online news site, our listening tool has not picked up anything as yet.

Doccie

https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/companies/2018-11-26-multichoice-may-let-its-customers-ditch-dishe...

I can believe it, internet is the future of tv.  If you look overseas this is how people are viewing tv.  Some time ago I remember hearing on 702 that legal streaming was even hurting pirating.

If you look at the new Explora it is a cheaper v2 model, if MC viewed the Explora as the future of DStv they would have upgraded it.  This is discounting issues that seem to becoming more freq with updates on the Exploras.  I'm becoming convinced they are doing this on purpose so their customers will move to their internet services.

I think anybody who has access to decent internet and stays with DStv is mad, I'm hoping the future for dstv is bleak, very bleak because the way they treat their customers they deserve it.

& for extra reading:

https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/national/2018-11-11-new-twist-emerges-in-sabc-multichoice-saga/

BoxOffice

Friday's Pow Pow with the Media: DStv wants to do away satellite connections to its decoders.

MC, What is going on? Are these newspaper reports true?

Why is it so difficult for you communicate these thing on the Community ? 

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM