cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

The Lounge

Doin' it 4 Tv

Re: The Lounge

I'll make an honest confession here and state that for some unknown reason I've never, as far as I can recall, been to Clifton Beach. Think once long LONG ago I did walk down the pathway to the beach but we turned around and went back to the road. Or did we take a brief walk on the beach itself? This would have been at least sixty years back so excuse me if my memory doesn't recall this visit. 

Did swim in the pool alongside at Camps Bay beach but because it's a tidal pool the water does have a chance to warm up by a degree or two. But basically the water all along the West Coast is pretty cold. When we wanted to go to the beach, in my later years, it was always to either the Strand or Gordon's Bay where the water is from the Indian Ocean and is therefore a bit warmer than that on the West Coast side which is fed by the Atlantic Ocean. Indian Ocean also feeds the Muizenberg area so I suppose it would be similar in temperature to Gordon's Bay and the Strand. 

Don't know what Capetonians there are on this forum who could perhaps give further information regarding this subject. Or if anyone is even interested. 

Showmaxed

I always thought Clifton was the worst.

And Muizenberg about the warmest? (Although that since looked too enhabited by low-life characters the last time I was there.)

Highlighted
Doin' it 4 Tv

GeoffD they make us tough here in the permanent holiday land. Man Wink

OK. Not THAT tough. We, in the Western Cape have, I think, the best beaches in the country but what we don't have is the best oceans for swimming in. The water along the West Coast, which includes Blaauwberg is ..... freezing even in summer. Yes, one can just about bear it but those waters are still cold when one first gets in. After awhile the body adapts and it's then not too bad. But initially it takes some getting used to. Don't know when last I've been in the water at Blaauwberg. Last recollection of mine from going into the water at that beach is of my legs, ankles downwards, going completely numb. Didn't venture in any deeper. 

But, no, I'm not off to Blaauwberg today. And definitely would never consider going to swim there in the heart of winter. Even on the hottest day in summer I don't think I'd be going.

Citanul on the other hand, when he's not catching up on all his cricket news and research, may have a different story to tell.

Red Carpet

Refreshing? Is that what you call it? 

You need to be a brass monkey to take a dip at Blaauwbergstrand! Presume you are really going there to see the spring tide as the moon is full at the moment.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Doin' it 4 Tv

Yes, Optimist. In fact the sun is shining here and I'm taking my swimming costume and heading off for a swim at Blaauwberg beach. Should be erm .... refreshing? 

Showmaxed

3 days to winter solstice... but many weeks still to "recover" :-(

Except for people like @Beetle  and @Citanul  who live in permanent-holiday land.

Showmaxed

We've got an old geyser with an external set of elements, and a gas stove / oven, and we use portable gas heaters - saves us a fortune and far less hassle in these situations.

The stove's 4 big gas cylinders haven't been replaced since we moved in over 15 years ago!

BoxOffice

When I saw the special on the Thursday to Sunday Special flier my first thought was that I would be waisting my money buying the Gen as we would never have load shedding again. By the Sunday when I eventually decided to buy they were out of stock but they allowed me to pay and collect when they received new stock. I collected  it about a week later and only used it for the first time about a year later.

We are not sorry we bought it at the time, apart from the extra fuel cost load shedding caused little inconvenience in our household. It is permanently connected to the distribution board and all that is needed is to switch the change over switch from mains to generator and start the generator. 

Fuel consumption is 20l per 8 hours but that is under full load. The latest series of load shedding used less than a tank of petrol, mainly because we avoided using the stove and switched off the geyser when the power was off. 

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
Showmaxed

Amazing to get it at that price Jan.

One thing I've seen through the years is that every time many people start buying the generators, that's when things come right again, until the next phase (excuse the pun) which is why we've never bought one... yet.

@Optimist wrote:

Make preparations for freeze storing your food elsewhere if need be....

A successful trick tried with our chest freezer;

Tried about 14 hours after the failure - we put newspaper at the top and a light small blanket on top of that which absorbed and kept more of the cold effect. Although a full day, nothing got spoilt at all, only some bread defrosted!

Perhaps it's partially due to it being quite full, and cooler weather here now, but even ice on the sides survived!

BoxOffice

Cable theft all of a sudden is on the rising again. In the Welkom area alone some R50 million for the month of May damage due to cable theft and vandalism. In one instance 4km of cable was stolen in on night. 

We are lucky in that we have a fully functioning Caravan in our carport.  Its Fridge/freezer Geyser and stove are all duel purpose gas/electricity. All we have to do is keep the water tank and gas bottles full. 

After the very first stint of load shedding many moons ago we managed to buy a 6500w generator at a very reduced price on R2499 at the time. It is detailing now for R9999.

It has come in very handy over time but generating your own electricity can be very expensive with the current fuel price   

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab