cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

The Lounge

Red Carpet

Re: The Lounge

That is the one I have yes. Smiley LOL I have indeed installed some apps that are not on the App Store without too much effort. Using an Internet browser via the box is not very easy/friendly so best is to download the app APK file on a laptop, copy it to a USB and then install it on the box from the USB. In order to do so I installed something similar to file Explorer on my box but it might not even be required - once you insert the USB it might automatically come up with options to browse and/or execute what is on the USB.

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Doin' it 4 Tv

Thanks for thinking of me Krugie and for supplying the link to the article. Should I, as seems likely, go for any of these media boxes then I think it will be the Mi Box S. Which is the one I think you have? Someone else has said they have this box and that it works well. 

You ever done any, think it's called 3rd party?, download of apps from off the internet and not the Google Play Store to this device? Does one need to be a rocket scientist to do so or can a simpleton like myself manage it? 

Thanks again for thinking of me and posting this last post of yours. 

Red Carpet

@Beetle  - there's an article for you on BusinessTech today re Android boxes.

The best Google-certified Android TV boxes you can buy in South Africa

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Doin' it 4 Tv

Thanks for the feedback Krugie. 

Now I'm waiting for the numerous words of congratulations that my "friends" on here will be sending me. Just seen that I've received some sort of promotion on the Community Forum. I'm now no longer whatever it was I was previously called but have been upgraded, at least I HOPE it's upgraded, to Beetle - Doing it for TV. 

I won't be around for the next hour or so as I'm rushing out to buy a bottle of champagne to celebrate this wonderful promotion of mine. 

Red Carpet

The 5.1 gigs is the total available on the box. I have about 3 gigs free at the moment that are still unused. I have only installed about 4 additional apps apart from the ones that came pre-installed.

Doin' it 4 Tv

Krugie, last question if you don't mind. 
Are you saying that there's still around 5 gig of storage available for your own personal use after the box has come with it's pre-installed apps? Apps like Netflix, Showmax, You Tube, DStv Now and perhaps a few others? Or aren't those apps installed on your box? 
Once again thanks for the info. and taking the time and effort to assist

Highlighted
Red Carpet

The Mi Box S is the newer model, replacing the Mi Box. It runs on Android 8.2 compared to Android 6 (or 7?) on the previous model and, as far as I am aware, is only available with 2 gig memory/8 gig storage. Nowhere on the packaging does it actually state storage but under settings mine shows 5.2 gig storage (the rest being taken up by Android).

As I mentioned, I have hardly used it to date but the little bit that I played around never had any buffering issues.

Doin' it 4 Tv

Thanks Krugie and GeoffD. 
Krugie the Mi Box S is, I think, the one that I'm currently thinking of. Is yours the one with 2 gig of Ram and 8 gig of storage? Concern is the lack of storage for any additional apps I may wish to add to the box and also not sure if 2 gig of Ram is enough to stream movies etc without buffering. I have a stupid Huawei Tablet which only has 1 gig of Ram and it's painful to use. Takes it's time changing from one app to another. Also don't try to keep more than two apps open at the same time. Even two is a problem. 

When I stream to my Explora in the lounge there's no problem. Whether it be Showmax, Netflix or You Tube. Connected via wi-fi. Again it's the concern regarding the Ram of the media box which I'm not sure will be enough to prevent buffering. 

Red Carpet

I actually bought a Mi Box S recently but, to be honest - I have barely touched it to date so I'm not able to offer much advice other than saying DSTV Now does work on it effortlessly and so does Netflix. I have a 100Mbps fibre line though so can'tcomment on a 10Mbps line. The Mi Box S doesn't have an Ethernet port to connect to your router though - it only connects via WiFi and supports up to 4K.

Also, make sure the box you get (if any) is Google Certified in order for DSTV Now to work.

Red Carpet

Sorry, can't help ---  have not spent any effort in investigating these things ----

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM