Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

The Lounge

265 REPLIES 265
BoxOffice

Re: The Lounge

@Beetle wrote:

I belong to a Pensioners Facebook Group .....

Please share with Geoff Smiley Very Happy
SLNB LMX501| Explora 2A (Primary 4,5,6) Explora 2A (Secondary 0,1,2) | Xtraview - decoders same room | 3 distributed HDMI endpoints via 2x4 Matrix
and Cat6 | 200/100 Fibre (OpenServe/Afrihost Premium UnCapped) | HD 5S in holiday mode
Red Carpet

@Beetle wrote:

Likewise with the other two.

To be honest, Euronews didn't excite me when it was available previously - I hardly ever bothered to watch.

I was disappointed last night to find out none of our news channels were showing the 1st UK Election debate between Johnson & Colbyn - then I established it was exclusive to ITV News - with BBC News and Sky News each getting an exclusive debate as well. I did manage to stream it online but I would have thought it was available to other broadcasters in areas where ITV News doesn't operate? My point is, it made me wonder whether ITV News wouldn't be a better option than Euronews although I'm not familiar with it at all and I guess we already have two British news channels. Then I suppose we need to get FOX News as well. Smiley LOL. I will be more happy just for us to get eNews in HD - it seems MC are trying there best to get the other local news channels to get a bigger following.

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Doin' it 4 Tv

Thanks. As you may have noticed I'm very seldom here anymore as I no longer find this site to be as helpful or informative as the old one used to be. But, maybe that's just me and if I were here a bit more I'd have a change of mind. Also I don't find this site as easy to move around in as the old one was.

But I have now read the comments posted on the series thread around these new channels. Always being the negative person that I am I also noticed elsewhere that this Curiosity Channel is being advertised at a huge discount to subscribers in some or other country. So, let's just hope this isn't just another cheap offering with little quality content? But that is perhaps a little unfair of me to say so at this stage when I'm not aware of what the content is going to be. So, let's see what materialises. Likewise with the other two.

Showmaxed

Those threads are usually in the Series forum section these days @Beetle

We mostly finished discussing that about a week ago.

You'll get a lot more facts here than on Twitter. (Just IMO of course ;-)   )

Doin' it 4 Tv

No idea where to put this or if it's already been posted elsewhere on this site but I see that we are getting three new channels starting sometime this week. Curiosity Stream, CBS Justice and Euronews. No idea what the content will be like but hopefully something good. Also believe the History Channel and one other which I understand we were going to be losing, have had new agreements signed and will continue to be aired on DStv.

Showmaxed

Showmaxed

Ya, there's a lot wrong.

There's also a few good efforts though, and with pressure they do seem to listen sometimes, to a degree anyway... I'm convinced History channel would be long gone by now if it weren't for the public reaction.

So here's hoping...

And, I'm about to start a related blog of sorts in the Sports section about ROA, it's some strong news so please read it carefully as I'm really not trying to start a riot and some of it is a good sign in some respects, IMO. (Only Geoff knows what it's about.)

Doin' it 4 Tv

Not too sure what the content is that you are referring to but will agree that there is far too much repeats taking place across the channels.

Month or two back saw there was a new series of Peaky Binders starting on one of the channels. A show I've been watching and only to be disappointed when I discovered I'd seen this series already. So, if new on the current channel, then it must have been previously screened on one of the other channels. Same applied to Vera season ...... whatever. So, although these programmes are "new" on a particular channel they have been seen before. I would imagine that these two programmes are not the only ones where this is happening. But, in this case, I don't think Multichoice can be blamed for these kind of repeats. Being the first time on a particular channel means that for Multichoice to take this up with the channel concerned is also not going to do any good. 

Multichoice ARE in a tricky financial situation and balancing their books is not going to be easy. The days when they were making huge profits, I believe they were, are long since gone. Too many streaming sites are now available. A very shortsighted view on their part was introducing DStv Now as they currently have it. But I won't go there.

Subscribers no longer have the money to waste on the Premium package and are downscaling at a rapid rate. Either to Compact or one of the lower level packages or discontinuing DStv altogether. Even by downscaling I think there's a loss of R300 per subscriber per month. Last time they released data regarding this I think there were 1000's of Premium subscribers that either downscaled or left altogether.

Sorry, once again I've gone off track a little bit. Last year Multichoice didn't bring us some football events and faced a lot of backlash from the supporters. This year we have those games back on our screens. Think Multichoice underestimated the following that European football has in this country. They tried to excuse it by saying they had some South American(?) football instead. That these games have very limited following in this country didn't seem to bother them. Nor that the games were broadcast during the early hours of the morning. This is what I mean by having quality content rather than just content.

Don't be surprised to see more channel losses and repeats in the coming months. But the time will come when their cost cutting of channels will come to an end and it will then depend on what they will still be providing as to how much longer Multichoice, in it's current form, will be our, my, tv provider.

BoxOffice

MC's greatest cost saving is using recycling. I notice more and more content being recycled each day 😈

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
Trending

i agree with @Beetle, more local content isnt all  a bad idea depends on what kind of "local content" SABC looking at you. Not enough international content is a bad thing too

lets hope this isn't a cut of you're nose to spite your face situation 

we all know times can be tough, tv is no different

~EXPLORA 1~ ~EXPLORA 2a~