cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

The Lounge

Doin' it 4 Tv

Re: The Lounge

I wonder if it is really that much of a waste of resources having to use two different days, or people, to collect the usual rubbish and the recycled ones? Looking at the amount of recycled items that fill the truck that comes to collect them it would mean that the rubbish truck would get filled quite quickly and would need to make more trips to the dump before it could continue on it's route. Then there is also the problem of seperating the two collections as well. So, perhaps a trifle more expensive from the point of pickup but maybe thereafter it's a saving? Simply taking the one lot of rubbish to the dump while the other lot got directly to wherever it is that the recycling takes place? 

Optimist, I know that the recycled articles would be put through some sort of cleaning process before being reused but you try telling that to my wife!!!! Every plastic bottle or article that can be washed gets a wash. Then it all gets emptied out of our bin to land amongst all the other plastic stuff in the truck. Most of which, I'm certain, hasn't seen a drop of water. So, our nice clean plastic gets dirty again. SCREAAAAAAAAAAAAMMM!!!

Showmaxed

So the only consistency is non-consistency. Transparent bags and small wheelie bins in the same wider city area, and we're given mostly opaque bags.

BB, all recycled material is put through a lot of cleaning processes so not necessary, although we do try be reasonable, and with a wipe where really needed.

And everyone having to do the put out / ( and for BB also take in) effort twice a week, while they use twice the resources to collect it. Seems silly, and really wasteful.

Doin' it 4 Tv

Yep. Been doing this for a good few years now. However, we don't use bags for this recycle stuff. We have a bin similar to the garbage wheelie bin only a bit smaller. Plastics, paper etc goes into this bin. Truck comes around once a week, for us it's on a Monday, and empties the bin into a truck of theirs. Just like they do with the garbage. The garbage is cleared on a Tuesday and not by the same people. 

Only problem I have with this system is that the wife persists in washing the recycleable (spelling) plastics before placing them in the bin. She mostly does this when washing our dishes and I therefore, being the official drying of the dishes officer, end up having to dry these items. Grumble grumble. But I think the ruling is that only clean recycleable plastic items are to be placed into these bins?

Action

Recycling has been happening for some time in certain suburbs of Cape Town, one of them being where I live, although I've no idea how they decided on which suburbs to do it in and what plans there are to roll it out to other areas.

Anything to be recycled needs to be put in a clear plastic bag, which gets collected on the same day as the normal rubbish collection, but it's by a different company, so happens later in the day.  This does cause a bit of a problem as "bin scratchers" will often tear open the bags containing recycling and either dump the contents in the wheelie bin or just leave it with a gaping hole and the potential for the contents to get strewn everywhere.

While I know I'm coming at this from a priviledged position and can't fathom what it must be like to have to search through other people's rubbish in order to get by, it is still annoying to have my effort at recycling be ruined by this behaviour.  As an attempt to combat this I put the recycling out as I leave for work with the theory being that the bin scratchers will have done their rounds by then, although I've no idea how successful this is.

Showmaxed

For those who don't know yet - there's a new(?) municipal recycling "effort" underway, and in our area anyway it's being conducted in typical S.A. "style" - nothing done yet and total confusion...

So here's the details, maybe someone can help shed light on what is really going on, TIA.

2 weeks ago we received a bag marked as being for recycled waste and a pamphlet in our house's mailbox - already a bad idea as items are stolen from that, which is why we use a post office postbox.

The claim is that they will collect on another day, and a neighbour says she's seen their green truck for this nearby. But no truck ever came here, and for the last 2 weeks we've had no further bags.

We then tried putting it next to our ordinary garbage (as suggested in their pamphlet's one pic), but it's then left behind...

Solutions?

Well, for starters they threatened in the pamphlet that if need be this will be made compulsory, so will have everyone around here in a semi panic, as I doubt they'll accept these individual ideas.

1. Use a P&P or other store that offers the collection option.

Prob with that one is that our local BIG P&P has tiny bins for it, each about the size of a kitchen bin.

2. Hide it among your normal rubbish - what we're doing for now, but it's ridiculous and seems sneaky even though that's even more ridiculous!!

3. Saw today that the men who go around collecting this kind of waste from dustbins on the street seem quite happy to just take the bags, even look pleased about it.

Which has me wondering... what's the point if this is the kind of rubbish they remove from us, and is this maybe municipal greed as they want those profits for themselves?? (Hope I'm wrong, would be nice to think they're trying to do the right thing instead.)

Aren't they also just wasting petrol and labour etc. costs by using a second truck anyway, when this is supposed to be a savings exercise??

Hope others can add info / ideas about this latest craziness......

Trending

@Beetle great news was looking for that media box too. Wasn't happy with their "specials"

Was actually really disappointed with the overall sale

As @krugie said nonwhere near ultimate sale 

~EXPLORA 1~ ~EXPLORA 2a~
Red Carpet

Very interesting yes. I actually went onto Takealot yesterday as well to have a look and saw the parallel import issue. They have the item listed twice - one "standard" product and then this import - and only the imported one on special. I still wanted to post about it here but got side-tracked. The R999 is a GREAT price! I assume you did confirm it is the S model and not the standard Mi Box. Smiley LOL

MyBroadband actually tested the Takealot sale this morning and the results show that this sale is nowhere near an "Ultimate" sale or  the initial promises. Takealot has been in hot water before for inflating prices before applying "discounts". They do sometimes offer real good value but it is always best to shop around before buying anything from them!

Takealot’s Ultimate Checkout deals tested

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Doin' it 4 Tv

Sorry to bore you with my ongoing Media Box saga but I THINK Krugie may be slightly interested to hear what the latest is regarding this saga. 

I took Krugie's advice and waited for the Takealot three day special to see what they would be offering the Mi Box S Media Player for on their special offering. The usual price is advertised as being R1499 and on the special it was going for R1199. Not a bad saving. Until I noticed it was a parallel import. Wasn't too happy about this so sent off a message, via Takealot's website, asking them some questions about this offer. To date I have not yet received any reply. 

Anyway, this morning I somehow, and I have no recollection of just why or how I did, came across an advert from Incredible Connection. For today only, and ordering online, that same device, which I'm assuming is not a parallel import and carries a 12 month guarantee, is available for ...... R999. Including delivery. 

I now sit and await delivery of said article. 

Krugie, be prepared for many more questions. Ha ha and ha ha. Once again thanks for the advice you have given me. So far..........

Doin' it 4 Tv

Unfortunately most of the posts have been by one selfish individual. Sorry about that. Heck, not even Optimist contributed much. Tsk tsk. Smiley LOL

Trending

Thought I'd mention this is the busiest the Lounge has been ever on new forum 

~EXPLORA 1~ ~EXPLORA 2a~