Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

The Lounge

Doin' it 4 Tv

Re: The Lounge

Doin' it 4 Tv

I will leave it to those in the know to advise which is the better option for you to go for but will say that I switched over from the Telkom ADSL line to fibre a couple of months ago. I am with Vox as my service provider and the fibre is supplied by Vumatel. No throttling, no fair usage and uncapped at 10 Mbps download speed and 2 Mbps Upload. Find it works very well for my purposes. Installation was completely free although I'd have to pay something should I decide to cancel the service. 

Saw earlier today that another service provider Axxess (?) are offering 10 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload for, I think, R625. Also uncapped, unshaped and no fair usage policy. Installation would be free up to a value of R5000/

Maybe it's because I had only had a 4 Mbps ADSL line before but I haven't regretted changing to the fibre line. 

I don't know if this is of any help to you GeoffD but hopefully there's something here you can use. 

Trending

I don't have any knowledge of the LIT BOX but I recently read that Telkom will no longer be doing maintenance or replacements on any ADSL lines. As they need replacement fibre or 4G will be the only option offered to those affected. In the areas where fibre is available it is now almost always more affordable than ADSL and offer faster as well as more reliable and consistent speeds at those lower costs. And just yesterday Afrihost announced amazing uncapped, unshaped & unthrottled fibre options called Pure Fibre. The cheapest ones start at R399 (Openserve)/R499 (Vumatel) for a 8Mbps line.

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Red Carpet

Telkom is desperately trying to get me to abandon my ADSL connection and replace it with fibre. Their latest offer is to throw in a LIT BOX as part of the deal.

Any comments from those in the know what the advantages of that would be, would be welcome.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Trending

@Beetle wrote:

I'll definitely wait until this sale takes place and see what they offer the MiBox for. Current price is R1499 so I'm expecting that it may go for R1299? R1399? 

Once again THANK YOU. 

My pleasure Smiley LOL. The price might even be less than the prices you mention - Game had it on a promo a few weeks ago for about R1,300 but I also paid closer to R1,500.

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Doin' it 4 Tv

With this previous reply of mine to Krugie I earned the "replies badge". Is there no end to the amount of rewards I'm receiving from the Community Forum. Just the other day I had my status advanced to "Doin' it 4 TV" and now this new award. Guess it's another trip to the bottle store now to buy some more champagne to celebrate with. Community Forum is going to make an alcoholic out of me. 

Doin' it 4 Tv

Krugie, I think in future when I reply to you we should just take it for granted that somewhere in my post there's a silent "THANK YOU"? It's getting quite repetitious now my having to constantly say "THANK YOU". Like once again at this time. 

I did see that Take A Lot are having some sort of super sale on those three days but when looking at the link that came with their email advert it only mentioned the sale on those days without mentioning what was being sold. The article you sent me was more informative for my purposes. I'll definitely wait until this sale takes place and see what they offer the MiBox for. Current price is R1499 so I'm expecting that it may go for R1299? R1399? 

Once again THANK YOU. 

Trending

@Beetle  - maybe it is worth waiting a few days for this sale - the Mi Box is specifically mentioned in the article.

Takealot launches massive new annual sale

Doin' it 4 Tv

Thanks again Krugie. 

Trending

That is the one I have yes. Smiley LOL I have indeed installed some apps that are not on the App Store without too much effort. Using an Internet browser via the box is not very easy/friendly so best is to download the app APK file on a laptop, copy it to a USB and then install it on the box from the USB. In order to do so I installed something similar to file Explorer on my box but it might not even be required - once you insert the USB it might automatically come up with options to browse and/or execute what is on the USB.