Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Avenger Movies

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Doin' it 4 Tv

Re: Avenger Movies

Citanul, I saw your post and was highly offended by what you had written there. So much so that I reported you to the higher authoroties here and had them remove it. How dare you attack me in that way. Why is it that you never agree with me? Blah blah.

Don't take any notice of that rubbish in paragraph one. None of it is true. Just meant as a bit of a joke.

You say you actually saw your original post? Seem to remember there having been some problem before when someone, me for one, edited a post and then it also disappeared never to be seen again. A fault with the system or the one posting the edited message? 

Doin' it 4 Tv

a bit OT... Regarding the watching a later series without having watched preceding ones... I have that issue currently with Legacies, which 'require'  8 seasons of Vampire Diaries (172ep) and 5 seasons of The Originals (92ep) .  Since I enjoy a good vampire story from time to time , I've started to 'catchup' Smiley Very Happy

SLNB LMX501| Explora 2A (Primary 4,5,6) Explora 2A (Secondary 0,1,2) | Xtraview - decoders same room | 3 distributed HDMI endpoints via 2x4 Matrix
and Cat6 | 200/100 Fibre (OpenServe/Afrihost Premium UnCapped) | HD 5S in holiday mode
Action

That's really weird.  I definitely saw my post after I made it as I edited it to fix something with the formatting, but now it's gone and it's not because I deleted it.

Doin' it 4 Tv

There's something strange going on in the neighbourhood? Who we going to call?

Citanul, I saw your post as an e-mail message to me but somehow I don't see it here? Is it me being ignorant again or is there a fault somewhere else? 

Citanul wrote:

"Given the box office success of the movies, clearly they are entertaining the film-going public. I do think though that you're not part of the movies' target audience, and there's nothing wrong with that as if it's not your thing then no amount of persuading is going to make it your thing.

But having said that, I don't think you're judging the movies in their proper context, and you were exposed to them in the wrong way. While Endgame is a direct sequel to Infinity Wars, it doesn't really work not having watched the previous movies.

In essence, the Marvel movies are like a ramped up seasons of a TV show where each episode (or movie in this case) contributes to an ongoing storyline, either moving it forward directly or at the very least contributing to character development. So Infinty Wars and Endgame are the equivalent of a season finale where they've pulled out all the stops for a big ending, and just as you wouldn't want to watch the season finale of a TV show not having watched any previous episodes, you wouldn't want to watch these two movies not having watched the previous movies as they are the culmination of everything that's gone before both in terms of plot development and character arcs.

And no one has ever claimed that the movies are high art. Superhero movies are big budget movies with prominent effects, in particular these two as they've delivered what the audience wants to see, which is the heroes all teaming up in elaborate sequences, and that's what these two delivered, along with bringing a number of characters' stories to a conclusion. Obviously, I'm saying this as a fan, but it is quite an achievement that they've pulled off - I don't think anyone anticipated anything remotely close to this 11 years ago when it all started".

So, thanks to you too for replying as you have. I do acknowledge, as I have before, that these movies aren't my forte and that they have made a huge profit for their company. Therefore there must be a huge market for these films and if I were a businessman I too would be cashing in on this franchise. Perhaps if I had watched all the earlier movies I may have found these last two a lot better than I did. 

I was really just wondering if I was alone in my thinking about these Avenger movies. From the two replies it would seem that I am. 

(Citanul, should you have deleted your post and my reproducing it here is against your wishes then kindly advise and I'll delete this post of mine.) 

Doin' it 4 Tv

Thanks for the reply Luke7777. Yes, definitely a "horses for courses" situation. I just cannot get into these Comic Book type of movies. Prefer my movies to be more of the believable kind. But, as you say, and I sort of hinted at in my original post, if the films bring in the money then that really is all that matters to those making them. 

Doin' it 4 Tv

Horses for courses... Smiley Happy I enjoy these kind of movies....  same as my 2 sons.  Still have to watch Endgame..  will wait for Boxoffice

Over 2 Billion in earnings speaks for itself... but as I said .. it's horses for courses

SLNB LMX501| Explora 2A (Primary 4,5,6) Explora 2A (Secondary 0,1,2) | Xtraview - decoders same room | 3 distributed HDMI endpoints via 2x4 Matrix
and Cat6 | 200/100 Fibre (OpenServe/Afrihost Premium UnCapped) | HD 5S in holiday mode
Doin' it 4 Tv

Avenger Movies

A week or so ago I watched The Avengers - End Game and thought it was sort of ok but not exactly all that great. Not a complete waste of time but fairly close to it. I then read somewhere that one perhaps needed to watch, if not all the other Marvel Comic movies, then at least needed to watch the previous Avengers - Infinity Wars movie. A couple of days ago I downloaded this movie from Catch Up and got around to watching it yesterday afternoon. If I thought The End Game wasn't good then this Infinity Wars one was absolute rubbish. Once again makers of movies seem to think noise, special effects are all that's required. I would perhaps give The End Game 2 stars out of 5 but Infinity Wars would only get 1. Both movies have some good quotes/references to other movies, which is why Infinity Wars gets it's 1 star but other than that I would rate this Infinity Wars amongst some of the worst films I have ever seen in my life. 

Let me here add that these comic book movies are not the genres that I normally watch so I am not the person that these films are marketed for. There may be some here that find them great and, if so, I am pleased for you. 

Surely, there must be decent script writers in Hollywood, and elsewhere, that can come up with stories that can better entertain the film going public? There's thousands of books out there that could perhaps be turned into movies? Sigh. Unfortunately money talks and although I didn't enjoy these two Avenger movies many millions did. 

Just thought I'd post this to see if I'm alone in this or if there are others with the same thoughts as me.