Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

False scrapping of SD PVRs

11 REPLIES 11
Showmaxed

Re: False scrapping of SD PVRs

@GeoffD wrote:

So while a decoder is listed against one's name, it remains as "not scrapped"?

Even if it is not active for a long time?

Yep, I think so as I understand it.

So the thing to then do is have them marked as being on second-hand status, and then you can forget about them.

Probably the last from me - I did succeed in getting the scrapped decoders reincarnated, thanks MC.

Red Carpet

So while a decoder is listed against one's name, it remains as "not scrapped"?

Even if it is not active for a long time?

I tried to get my SD PVR OFF the lists as scrapped, and definitely the SC out of the system.

I tried for a number of other SD PVRs that were given to me when the owners replaced them, as well as my 4 tuner UEC decoder.

I did not really succeed to my satisfaction.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Showmaxed

A very interesting development, looks to me like this was just wide misunderstanding (not proven though).

I have spares of these decoders (which involves these "scrapped" units), a few of us did that as they were becoming harder to source.

As such I never bothered to put them on my name at this stage... and years passed.

I now think I recall that at least one old owner had it marked as "second-hand status" to get it off their account.

By my not following up with the transfer, it looks like MC may then have misread it as must have been scrapped by the old owner, especially after all this time!

This is my theory, based on things discussed with me privately, but I think it does make most sense... but then also note MC's eagerness to "clean up" the records for this model, certainly looks like more effort than their usual :-/

*sigh* crazy world!

Showmaxed

I have had feedback.

One decoder can already be used.

One decoder wasn't checked yet.

The other two decoders - they were incorrectly marked, perhaps due to a typo by some careless service assistants as they were never taken in for examination or repair by me in the years I've had them.

Anyway, given MC's general carelessness this is quite possible, and as I'm on my way to a solution I will probably end this thread here.

Showmaxed

Tomorrow this thread is a week old, clearly much too long to simply confirm that, as MC claims here, they haven't been scrapping these units... and strange how I was initially told that's what's been done.

And now you want to communicate further about this by PM.

Either way,

*BUMP!!*

Showmaxed

On second thoughts here's some more serial numbers in case it helps the goal - if I can use any two of the four I could make a plan all round and I'm happy to then call it a day re this issue.

X 000335575 (X6)

X 000232986 (X7)

X 000253177 (X1)

Showmaxed

@Thoko_DStv1  , in case my last post wasn't too clear;

@Thoko_DStv1 wrote:

Hi @Optimist,

...We do not intentionally scrap decoders. Please PM us the serial numbers of the decoders that you are referring to and we will check if they have been scrapped or not, if so, for what reasons.

Here it is again:

DVR 3000 decoder serial no.: X 000362047 (X6)

(The other decoders mentioned were checked over time so no need to check them again.)

Many thanks

Showmaxed

@Thoko_DStv1  , thank you, but the person responding through you clearly didn't read the thread...

I have mentioned I am able to still properly use the SD PVR (and am not concerned by any handicaps), and I have just posted the serial number...

Please - if you people don't read the threads, it makes you all look very incompetent... surely you don't want that.

I await the further feedback offered please.

Many thanks

Hi @Optimist,

The SD PVR decoders have been in end of support since November of 2014 – this means that they can simply no longer cope with the amount of channels and information on the DStv service. We can also no longer repair them and cannot send software updates.

As part of our security measures (which are needed to protect the integrity of the content on DStv and stop piracy), we send data to all active smart cards. This places an extra load on decoders – other decoders like later model HD PVRs and the Explora handles this without incident – but the SD PVR cannot cope with it.

These decoders have run out of memory – this is why they only have 6 days on their TV guide instead of 8 and why we cannot upgrade the software on these decoders. This is not a deliberate attempt on our part to force customers to upgrade – this is the old technology simply not being able to cope with the number of channels and amount of information it needs to process.

We do not intentionally scrap decoders. Please PM us the serial numbers of the decoders that you are referring to and we will check if they have been scrapped or not, if so, for what reasons.

Showmaxed

DVR 3000 decoder serial no.: X 000362047  (X6)

Married S/C serial no.: 4102 4152 34 (4)