cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

PVR Decoders: Inexplicable Authentication Issues

Red Carpet

Re: PVR Decoders: Inexplicable Authentication Issues: The Latest

Another night of TOTAL LOSS OF ACCESS TO LINEAR TV on TWO 4 tuner decoders!

All as a result of a COMPLETELY BROKEN service authentication system!

Yet recordings carry on as normal and correctly!

What are you doing MC?????

I can fix it BUT it requires a reboot, which will stop recordings in progress ---------

Really bad form MC.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Nominee

Unbelievable!!

@GeoffD wrote:

Another old problem is back. Both decoders now fiddle with the ARC settings on reboot. The setting I use is ARC 1 as all TVs are HD, widescreen TVs. Yet every morning, The ARC setting now defaults to ARC 2,

Yep, seeing this as well on another older model. In my case I think it changes from ARC 1 to ARC 5.

As witnessed on the Explora 1 - they do seem to be cycling through old faults on a regular, endless basis, as if they're searching for something or slowly repairing something stage by stage.

Red Carpet

And here we go again with the weekend woes. First the one decoder, then the other.

This morning my Secondary decoder would not play back anything, live TV was dead, yet recordings were going on the background. The TV guide showed ALL channels available, both the SD version and the HD version, The recordings in progress on the HD channels were proceeding BUT so were the SD channel versions being recorded.

What a mess! 

Waited for the recordings to complete and now a reboot is in progress.  A similar scenario played itself out on the Primary decoder yesterday. 

NO official sw update shown but for sure something was being updated, as the reboot is taking forever.

Another old problem is back. Both decoders now fiddle with the ARC settings on reboot. The setting I use is ARC 1 as all TVs are HD, widescreen TVs. Yet every morning, The ARC setting now defaults to ARC 2,

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Red Carpet

The latest on this on-going issue.

The onslaught on older PVRs has been raised a notch!

Just like with the SD PVR, the attack on the older PVRs is now in full swing.

MC has continued to cut the power to the LNBs when they do their Authentication checks.

Now, signal interruption followed by picture freezes leads to the complete loss of the buffer content, every single time. The evening one now takes place between 19:00 and 19:15.

Trending

Re: PVR Decoders: Inexplicable Authentication Issues

@Optimist wrote:

Yesterday morning and this morning my one PVR's content was frozen on 208 SD, but it's 

Not necessarily related but I have now twice had a channel freeze up on me while watching live TV on my one Explora 1 in the last week - and don't recall it ever  having happened before. Once on either CNN or Sky News (can't remember) and the other time on BBC Brit. No re-boot was possible - I had to unplug to restore.

Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Nominee

Yesterday morning and this morning my one PVR's content was frozen on 208 SD, but it's usually on ch. 110 SD which has never frozen so can't say for sure if it's related to current wider problems. A simple ch. toggle sorted it out both times.

Maybe related to that transponder? Geoff, others and myself have seen that only some transponders have been affected by the recent service mess, some explanation why that should ever happen would be helpful.

Red Carpet

The issue persisted until after 23:00 last night, completely negating any viewing on CH 194 HD. Have no idea if it came right and when. I rebooted the decoder this morning without bothering to check before. Had to wait for the scheduled recordings to complete. BTW, none of them failed, ALL TBRs.

Hi GeoffD, still getting the authentication error? ~

Red Carpet

Another one this afternoon. E133-4 on the secondary decoder. with signal strengths of 83%! Tuner 1 has a so-called problem, yet both tuners 2, 3 are recording fine and tuner 4 is working!

An out of the blue error again caused by the endless service authentication fiddles!

And why only some channels affected? If the decoder or Sc are faulty, then surely ALL reception would be affected.?

And if it is a decoder tuner fault, then why do the signal values change when changing channels?

Red Carpet

So went on another round of resets for my secondary decoder, with endless checks and error clearing messages.

Everything appears to have now been verified and checked. Holding thumbs that life will return to normal in the household now!

In the process, the issue as discussed to death on the old forum is at the heart of these problems. Power to the LNB is interrupted during the service authentication process, which does NOT work very well with the older decoders!  I have once again fallen back on feeding my two decoders via 2 x 4 MSs as I can provide independent power to the MSs.