Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Dstv to cut channels

Doccie

Re: Dstv to cut channels

Joe is DEFINITELY not listening to me.

He has communcated this decision to News24

'Joe says...The company says that they are conscious about the content that customers enjoyed on the A+E channels and that they are in talks with other suppliers to get similar content.'

Joe, did you consult the 'customers' ? I think not, you have always done what suits DSTV in my opinion.

Doin' it 4 Tv

"Joe says that the company is always looking to improve customers' viewing experience. It is motivated by their drive to ensure that they listen and respond to their customers and based their decision on the customer's needs which are identified through detailed research." Smiley LOLSmiley Tongue

They are definitely not listening to me and catering to my needsCat Frustrated
Action

They are sticking to their guns, despite protests. Smiley Mad

Here's the funny part; this is why: (From MyBroadband)

"Joe says that the company is always looking to improve customers' viewing experience. It is motivated by their drive to ensure that they listen and respond to their customers and based their decision on the customer's needs which are identified through detailed research." Smiley LOLSmiley Tongue

Pace HDPVR 4 tuner, Samsung 65 UHD TV, Samsung J7500 BluRay, Denon X3200W AVR.
Telenovela

Well for sure MC will not cut 2 and keep 1 channel - all 3 will go or all 3 will stay.

Telenovela

Found "Channel Termination" entries on the EPG for Lifetime and C+I but nothing for History. 

--==** Explora 1 (Primary) & Explora 2a (Secondary), SLNB**==--
Doccie

I hope you are right Doug. I miss those channels already, even though they are still running.

Trying to get information out of DSTV is like trying to get blood out of a stone, a hopeless mission.

Action

The channel termination messages have disappeared on the EPG for the History and CI channels. Didn't check Lifetime.

Not sure what we should make of this..... good news perhaps....? Smiley Happy

Action

Channel termination messages have appeared on the EPG for these channels already. These notices give alternate channels on which "similar content" can be viewed; perhaps part of the problem is they don't watch any TV themselves. Smiley LOL Seems its a done deal as far as MC is concerned and we the viewers get the middle finger as usual.

Maybe a good opportunity for eTV or even SABC to fill the gap?

Ironically, the once champions against piracy are now its promoters.

Showmaxed

BTW, there's quite a number of good new series starting on History which all have celebrities hosting them, they've been advertising it for a while.

For example - Damian Lewis (Billions) will be hosting Spy Wars, and William Shatner (original Captain Kirk of Star Trek) is in another.

And MC, some of us do look at the bigger picture but that doesn't change anything.

For instance, maybe History etc. have been spicing their African content up in preparation for these negotiations and are asking for too much, but I won't ever believe that MC are innocent here - your whole attitude these days is to make cheap wherever possible.

Yes, the economy is bad. But considering how much profit you do make anyway, I think you need to tell your shareholders that if they try grab more now, there will certainly be less later.

Also MC, although your flavour of the decade is those going for DStv Now and Compact now, longer term you're foolish if you think it ever justifies handicapping the main Premium offerings. Do you want to start becoming a second rate provider like the other satellite TV companies here? And do you really dare try any of this in Nigeria, your biggest population catch, where you are already NOT the main choice?

Please let more experienced professionals guide you.

Highlighted
Red Carpet

@kernel wrote:

I was promised a reply within 8 working hours.

I think that works similar to dog years compared to human years - so don't hold your breath!

If Thinus is to be believed and the REAL reason is indeed that negotiations broke down, then I think customer revolt might still actually lead to this decision being reversed - even if not for all 3 channels. Admittedly, likely only a very minute chance of this happening since MC is know to sticking to their guns in most instances.

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).