Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Pointless replaced by Impossible

45 REPLIES 45
Red Carpet

Re: Pointless

The responses highlight what I have always said - they do not want to (or can't afford to) spend money on us. To say they skipped season to bring us "more recent" episodes is hardly reassuring when we have to date not seen anything newer than 2014. And for a repeat Pointless episode to be the 2nd most watched program only reflects on how bad the rest of the channel's content is in my opinion!

But I have given up on this - we are just falling further behind all the time. Yay, so we are getting a new season next year. But 2 to 3 new season are aired each year - so we will be one or two seasons further behind by the end of the year that at the beginning.

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Showmaxed

However, this is an important clue to the whole of BBC's behaviour;

@Beetle wrote:

In addition, if we were to concentrate on one particular show, our channel budget would be dominated by one programme rather than providing a range of shows.

Looks to me like they're saying that regular more-recent content costs more than their budget, which suggests they don't receive enough for the channel for these practical needs. And of course they're not allowed to discuss that directly as these contracts involved don't allow either them or MC to do so... how convenient :-/

The next question is if the lower budget is justifiable - simply put, is there enough interested African audience to make it practical?

Sadly it's what I've always believed about this. The only new thought I've come up with is if the BBC bosses are maybe exaggerating things to try get more. Either way I can't see this being solved, fact is that the African continent is largely into Americans and their TV content. (And Nollywood type content for many of them as well.)

Showmaxed

@jan365041 wrote:

Apart from the money carried over to the next episode, each episode of Pointless is a stand alone show...

This part isn't technically correct - there are previous episode contestants that lost who appear again in the next episode. So certainly the episode order is important, to some viewers.

Not that it's the point anyway when it comes to discussing which seasons are aired.

I'm not going to get more involved than that (hardly watch these).

Doccie

my reply today

Thank you for your message to the BBC South Africa Contact page.

We note your feedback regarding the scheduling of Pointless and that you would have liked us to have aired series 6, 7 and 8 before we aired series 9. Series 6 of Pointless last aired on BBC Brit in 2018, however we have not broadcast series 7 and 8 as in response to viewers' requests, we purchased more recent series of this quiz show.

Apart from the money carried over to the next episode, each episode of Pointless is a stand alone show, and we do not feel that viewers' enjoyment of series 9 is spoiled by us not airing series 7 and 8. You might find the Show Search function on our TV Guide useful when planning your viewing of Pointless.

We have some good news for you and other fans of Pointless, as a new series is planned for BBC Brit next year. We would recommend you keep a check on our website www.bbcsouthafrica.com/ for future announcements.

Thank you for contacting us.

Best wishes,

BBC Studios

Doin' it 4 Tv

Herewith the reply I received from the BBC in response to my complaint regarding the numerous repeats of Pointless. I must be honest and, although not the sort of answer that I was wanting to hear from them, I was still pretty impressed with this response. A bit more than just the copy and paste type of answer that I was expecting. What you think? 

"Dear Edwin,

Thank you for your message to the BBC South Africa Contact page.

Audience feedback is extremely important to us and we thank you for taking the time and trouble to contact us. BBC Studios is a commercial subsidiary of the BBC and while we appreciate that you would prefer to see the very latest episodes of Pointless, BBC Studios, as a commercial entity, does not automatically gain the rights to BBC shows.

When we acquire the rights to a programme or series, the rights for all of the series produced may not be available to us. In addition, if we were to concentrate on one particular show, our channel budget would be dominated by one programme rather than providing a range of shows.

So far in 2019, we have aired episodes of Pointless series 4, 5, 9, 10 and 11 on BBC Brit. We have noted your suggestion for us to show earlier series of Pointless, however when we acquire programmes we do so for a set period and earlier series may no longer be in licence for us to air on BBC Brit.

Our aim is to acquire a broad range of programmes for our viewers to enjoy. For example, this month on BBC Brit we are premiering episodes from the new series of Strictly Come Dancing and The Graham Norton Show, which we are bringing to viewers shortly after their UK premiere. Similarly, we air new episodes of EastEnders each week shortly after they have aired in the UK.

You have asked about the popularity of repeat showings of Pointless. Although it is not possible to identify how many viewers will be watching repeats of Pointless for the first time, compared with viewers who have already seen these episodes, we can tell you that repeats of Pointless are consistently the top rated titles on BBC Brit. In September for example, a repeat showing of Pointless was the second highest rated show of the month.

We have some good news for you and other fans of Pointless, as a new series is planned for BBC Brit next year. We would recommend you keep a check on our website www.bbcsouthafrica.com for future announcements.

We do very much appreciate you getting in touch with us and we have noted your strength of feeling regarding the scheduling of Pointless on BBC Brit. We take all audience feedback seriously and your comments have been shared with our programming team.

Best wishes,

BBC Studios"

Highlighted
Doccie

Email is on the link

https://www.bbcsouthafrica.com/contact/

@krugie wrote:

That has been BBC's reply for years and years already. I sent a very strongly worded reply to their "standard reply" once and obviously never heard from them again. 

I basically told them to do their repeats as often as they want outside prime time but to give us fresh episodes during prime time. And also explained that a repeat of a game show is no fun if you already know who will win..  and the - if they exist - few people that still missed it before are probably hardly 1% of viewers so the other 99% have to be satisfied with repeats! 

The truth is that they just don't want to spend money on new content! But please post the e-mail address you used and I will also send ANOTHER e-mail.

Red Carpet

That has been BBC's reply for years and years already. I sent a very strongly worded reply to their "standard reply" once and obviously never heard from them again. 

I basically told them to do their repeats as often as they want outside prime time but to give us fresh episodes during prime time. And also explained that a repeat of a game show is no fun if you already know who will win..  and the - if they exist - few people that still missed it before are probably hardly 1% of viewers so the other 99% have to be satisfied with repeats! 

The truth is that they just don't want to spend money on new content! But please post the e-mail address you used and I will also send ANOTHER e-mail.

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Doin' it 4 Tv

Sent an email to them. Now await their copy and paste reply. We can but try. 

Doin' it 4 Tv

Jan, I feel for you and everyone else when it comes to these repeats and agree that you can expect absolutely no help from anyone at Multichoice. Even IF they were involved with this forum. Years ago I tried to get things changed with the then TCM Channel and supplied statistics on how many times the different films were being shown. Some reached over 110 screenings over a period of time. Mentioned this to both Multichoice and also sent this information to the TCM Channel. Multichoice said they'd discuss it when their board, or whoever, had their next meeting. Nothing happened. I THINK I received a reply from TCM but it also wasn't much different to the one you received from the BBC. So I doubt very much that these channels take much notice of what we, the viewers, have to say on the matter of repeating of shows/series. How many more times are we going to be seeing repeats of Death In Paradise (a decent show to watch by the way) and Top Gear? Just to mention two. 

Sorry Jan, my fingers ran away with me there. Anyway, for what it's worth, I'll send an email to the BBC mentioning my dissatisfaction with the various repeats of this series and see what response I get. Fully expecting them to copy and paste your reply and send it to me.  

Doccie

Pointless

I know this is an old thread but some of us watch Pointless. Every year we see Series 5 and 9. I decided to email BBC, the answer is that they show the same series encase people missed an episode Smiley HappyMan LOL. My question to them in this era of PVR and being able to record and 2 episode a day for the last couple of years. Why can’t we see 6,7 and 8. Remember who shot JR in Dallas- no difference. We never know what happens to the last people in the series, did they win the money in the next series episode 1!

So maybe if more of us question the BBC we might win Ha Ha

Part of the message say “Audience feedback is very important to us and we will share your request for a new series with our programming team”

Their email is https://www.bbcsouthafrica.com/contact/

DSTV won’t help as they don’t read these messages