Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Poor scheduling / lack of repeats

Highlighted
Romance

Poor scheduling / lack of repeats

I feel like a broken record and MC is not listening.

I'm once again complaining about lack of repeats. I know space is currently limited, but once again, can we not be proactive in trying to find a solution rather than telling me that it can't be fixed. Just 2 quick examples I've mentioned before - City and Binge could be run 24/7.

So for clarity, here are a few of the current issues:

A premiere episode of both Jane the Virgin (116) and Sleepy Hollow (115) are screened Saturday night at 8pm - neither are on CU after Sleepy Hollow was removed. When Sleep Hollow was on CU, Jane took recording priority. Both shows are repeated once only on Monday nights, again overlapping: Jane at 23:30 and Sleepy Hollow at 00:00. So I have to prioritise one show for Saturday recording and record the other on Monday. And I have to hope there are no issues with either else I will have to miss an episode for one of the series. Not my ideal way to watch a series.

It now also seems that BBC are also losing repeats. Previous seasons of Graham Norton used to be repeated over weekends. Now there is only the premiere episode and 1 repeat later the same evening. And when there is an issue (like I experienced with an EPG stuff up), I miss an episode. Last week, The Good Karma Hospital had at least 2 repeats, this week, it's down to a single repeat.

What is going on? For me, this is very poor planning.

21 REPLIES
Romance

Re: Poor scheduling / lack of repeats

My futher thoughts on this and other things, https://community.dstv.com/t5/Guidelines/Very-disillusioned/m-p/404#M163.

Doccie

Yes, yes, yes to everything you're saying. It's like the programme schedulers don't actually watch Dstv (maybe they Netflix and chill 😆). For me with Graham there was no electricity in my area for more than 12hrs from early Tuesday night to late Wednesday morning so I couldn't record either episode. How is it a repeat if it's just a few hours later from the premier episode only? 

I get that people complain about repeats in general, Dstv, as they should because you repeat wrongly. Channel 115 and 116 are repeating shows that they've already televised more than once already (Brooklyn 99, Blacklist: Redemption, etc). And what is with 116 televising shows now that have been canned 2 years ago already (Next 15)? 

And let's not forget the Jane the Virgin issue where you didn't even televise S03 at all last year on 116 for us Compact users and suddenly there's S04, and when I reported it the social media guys on Twitter said they will report it to the programme schedulers but the premier episode came and gone without further feedback. Now I am recording S04 of Jane not knowing if I will ever get the chance. Nevermind that I tweeted last year about this and was acknowledged but still this happened - which isn't the first time in Compact.

My point is Dstv programme schedulers either don't exist or they don't care.

Romance

@Gugulizer wrote:
And let's not forget the Jane the Virgin issue where you didn't even televise S03 at all last year on 116 for us Compact users and suddenly there's S04, and when I reported it the social media guys on Twitter said they will report it to the programme schedulers but the premier episode came and gone without further feedback. Now I am recording S04 of Jane not knowing if I will ever get the chance. Nevermind that I tweeted last year about this and was acknowledged but still this happened - which isn't the first time in Compact.

This is my issue with The Path,  https://community.dstv.com/t5/What-s-On/Path-season-2-repeat/m-p/801#M246. Recorded season 2 on 101, except ep 7 which was a failed recording. So I patiently waited for it to be repeated on 115 / 116 / whatever. Now season 3 is starting and season 2 has not been repeated anywhere.

Doccie

@MadCat wrote:

@MadCat

This is my issue with The Path,  https://community.dstv.com/t5/What-s-On/Path-season-2-repeat/m-p/801#M246. Recorded season 2 on 101, except ep 7 which was a failed recording. So I patiently waited for it to be repeated on 115 / 116 / whatever. Now season 3 is starting and season 2 has not been repeated anywhere.

Yep. They just inconsistently dump whatever and whenever they feel like in Compact. I just don't get what the actual end game is, because them crapping on Compact is not making me want to go back to Premium - I just want to get rid of Dstv entirely. No wonder they lost 100000 premium subscribers last year.

@MadCat wrote:

@Gugulizer wrote:

Hi @Gugulizer - we get what you saying, and apologies for not getting any feedback. Let's fix that, waiting for the channel to advise on Jane the Virgin S3.

@MadCat - The Path S1 and 2 aired on M-Net 101 and M-Net Terrestrial only never on M-Net City ch 115. Season 1 was then repeated on Vuzu and M-Net Binge. There is no indication that S2 will be repeated on the above channels because S3 will start on M-Net and Terrestrial. 

Anime

What about 'Better Call Saul' which had a repeat of seasons 1 & 3, but curiously not of season 2?

Doccie

Hi MC

Do you see a possibility of MNet City becoming a full 24hr running channel or that's just something you guys are not even  considering right now?

Please give a straight clear answer 

@MadCat We do understand your frustration especially with the afore-mentioned shows, however, if you can remember the past few years have been more focused on cutting down on repeats as has been the subscriber's outcry. It would be rather unfair to prioritise certain shows which appeal to a certain few and have them on repeat regurlary as we have thousands of titles and spacing as you also mention would be an issue.
However, there are various metrics we consider before we can reach such decisions and contractual obligations we have to adhere by.
As a more plausible solution, you can set scheduled recordings of the shows that appeal to you.

Doccie

No one is asking for certain shows to be repeated on the regular over others, we are asking for consistency in programming. If you're going to "repeat" a show in a different bouquet, you cannot consider it a repeat anymore because some people did not see it. It's only a repeat for premium subscribers and, I could be wrong, in general premium subscribers aren't even aware of the lower tiered channels because there's barely anything new (until recently). 

The repeats that subscribers are complaining about, and I'm sure I speak for everyone here, are repeating shows/movies that have already played in the same channel again for no real reason. And this DOES NOT include repeating an episode of a show that premiered in that week to ensure more people get to watch it (bare in mind power outtages are more common than not in our country). For example you're repeating The Matrix trilogy again on Ch 110, which you do annually now. I'm not even going to mention the number of shows currently repeating on Ch 115, as they are too many to count. But for some unknown reason the schedule programmers think it is OK to play a season of a show in one year and then the next year not play the next season, but the following year (year 3) play season 3 of said show yet season 2 never played on that channel... Now as a viewer you cannot continue with S03 because you have missed out on S02, what are you supposed to do then as a paying subscriber?