Welcome to Series

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Poor scheduling / lack of repeats

Re: Poor scheduling / lack of repeats

@FIFO, we haven't received communication regarding M-Net City becoming a 24 hour channel. Therefore, there's no plans to change it to a 24 hour channel at this stage. Announcements will be done via dstv.com if there's a plan to change it to a 24 hour channel. 

@Gugulizer, some content providers don't give us permission (on contracts) to repeat some of their content on lower packages. Hence, you'll find that some content that was on DStv Premium is not repeated on other packages. 

We understand that in this instance we're more on programming but allow us to give clarity using sport as an example. Let's take boxing as an example, an international supplier/provider of a certain boxing bout might restrict us from repeating the bout on lower packages. 

Trending

@Terrence wrote:

This distinction between necessary repeats of new content, and unwelcome mutliple repeats of old, should not be difficult to grasp.

One would think so for a company who's line of business is broadcasting...

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Anime

@Cya_DStv1 wrote:

@MadCat We do understand your frustration especially with the afore-mentioned shows, however, if you can remember the past few years have been more focused on cutting down on repeats as has been the subscriber's outcry. It would be rather unfair to prioritise certain shows which appeal to a certain few and have them on repeat regurlary as we have thousands of titles and spacing as you also mention would be an issue.

This answer absolutely misses the point. The repeats complained about have always been those of old, previously aired programmes. Few if any viewers have ever complained about there being several repeats at different times in the days immediately after a completely new programme or episode is first broadcast: in fact, given the unstable power situation in South Africa over many years, along with the issues caused by violent weather, such repeats are entirely necessary. ITV Choice, for instance, is very good with this: new episodes receive a repeat later the same night, one the following day, and usually also at least one over the following weekend. BBC First used to be reasonably good (with all new weeknight episodes receiving a later airing the same day, and two repeats within the same seven days), but is now less so despite expanding their broadcast hours.

This distinction between necessary repeats of new content, and unwelcome mutliple repeats of old, should not be difficult to grasp.

Telenovela

Still waiting for an answer on this. Thank you

@FIFO wrote:

Hi MC

Do you see a possibility of MNet City becoming a full 24hr running channel or that's just something you guys are not even  considering right now?

Please give a straight clear answer 

Doccie

No one is asking for certain shows to be repeated on the regular over others, we are asking for consistency in programming. If you're going to "repeat" a show in a different bouquet, you cannot consider it a repeat anymore because some people did not see it. It's only a repeat for premium subscribers and, I could be wrong, in general premium subscribers aren't even aware of the lower tiered channels because there's barely anything new (until recently). 

The repeats that subscribers are complaining about, and I'm sure I speak for everyone here, are repeating shows/movies that have already played in the same channel again for no real reason. And this DOES NOT include repeating an episode of a show that premiered in that week to ensure more people get to watch it (bare in mind power outtages are more common than not in our country). For example you're repeating The Matrix trilogy again on Ch 110, which you do annually now. I'm not even going to mention the number of shows currently repeating on Ch 115, as they are too many to count. But for some unknown reason the schedule programmers think it is OK to play a season of a show in one year and then the next year not play the next season, but the following year (year 3) play season 3 of said show yet season 2 never played on that channel... Now as a viewer you cannot continue with S03 because you have missed out on S02, what are you supposed to do then as a paying subscriber? 

Doin' it 4 Tv

@MadCat We do understand your frustration especially with the afore-mentioned shows, however, if you can remember the past few years have been more focused on cutting down on repeats as has been the subscriber's outcry. It would be rather unfair to prioritise certain shows which appeal to a certain few and have them on repeat regurlary as we have thousands of titles and spacing as you also mention would be an issue.
However, there are various metrics we consider before we can reach such decisions and contractual obligations we have to adhere by.
As a more plausible solution, you can set scheduled recordings of the shows that appeal to you.

Telenovela

Hi MC

Do you see a possibility of MNet City becoming a full 24hr running channel or that's just something you guys are not even  considering right now?

Please give a straight clear answer 

Anime

What about 'Better Call Saul' which had a repeat of seasons 1 & 3, but curiously not of season 2?

@MadCat wrote:

@Gugulizer wrote:
And let's not forget the Jane the Virgin issue where you didn't even televise S03 at all last year on 116 for us Compact users and suddenly there's S04, and when I reported it the social media guys on Twitter said they will report it to the programme schedulers but the premier episode came and gone without further feedback. Now I am recording S04 of Jane not knowing if I will ever get the chance. Nevermind that I tweeted last year about this and was acknowledged but still this happened - which isn't the first time in Compact.

This is my issue with The Path,  https://community.dstv.com/t5/What-s-On/Path-season-2-repeat/m-p/801#M246. Recorded season 2 on 101, except ep 7 which was a failed recording. So I patiently waited for it to be repeated on 115 / 116 / whatever. Now season 3 is starting and season 2 has not been repeated anywhere.

Hi @Gugulizer - we get what you saying, and apologies for not getting any feedback. Let's fix that, waiting for the channel to advise on Jane the Virgin S3.

@MadCat - The Path S1 and 2 aired on M-Net 101 and M-Net Terrestrial only never on M-Net City ch 115. Season 1 was then repeated on Vuzu and M-Net Binge. There is no indication that S2 will be repeated on the above channels because S3 will start on M-Net and Terrestrial.