Welcome to Series

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Re-hashing Deal Or No Deal... to death...

11 REPLIES 11
Extra

Re: Re-hashing Deal Or No Deal... to death...

I'm so glad I found this thread, as I've been emailing BBC Studios this past week with regards to the neverending Deal or no Deal repeats.

Krugie, the "New" episodes they refer to have been shown multiple times before, when the show was still aired on BBC Lifestyle. Calling them "New" is misleading, and an insult to viewers and fans of the show. How can it be called new if it has been shown before, and is older than the episodes currently airing? I also looked further into the TV guide, and from 23 September they will be back to showing Season 4, Episode 207, which is part of the block of episodes (141 to 289) that have been shown and repeated over and over and over again.

Kieran

Red Carpet

I doubt anyone still bothers to switch to this channel during the Deal Or No Deal broadcast time since we are STILL being shown the exact same few episodes over and over again. I am guessing each has been shown 50+ times already - if not more. However, last night I saw and add on BBC Brit saying NEW episodes are starting to air on Monday 12 August.

After getting treatment for the head injury from falling off the chair, I have now checked the online TV guide. The episodes we have been seeing over and OVER AND OVER (if I recall correctly) were season 4, episodes from around 140 to 189. On Monday 12 August, according to the online guide, it will be season 4, episode 111. **bleep**??????? So know we are getting EVEN OLDER episodes? Whether they have been shown before or not I am not sure but REALLY??????????

There has been 3,003 episodes made - yes - 3,003! Yet we have been shown the same 50 for the last 2 years at least as far as I can tell..and now this????? Thanks for nothing - that timeslot is dead to me as far as BBC Brit goes. And to add insult to injury, ANOTHER repeat of Pointless Season 5 starts on the same day right after Deal Or No Deal. I suppose it is meant for the great grandchildren of the people that watched the first showing - the only people possibly alive on the planet that have not seen it yet (a few times).

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
New poster

Just getting anoying 

BoxOffice

Krugie has said it all that is exactly the way I feel.

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
Red Carpet

Hi @Grace_DStv1 - thank you for the reply although they have basically given exactly what I said I am not interested in - trying to divert attention away from the actual question just like they always do - not to mention their reply about Pointless is totally incorrect and I would like you to please follow up on that. I have responded in red below.

@Grace_DStv1 wrote:

@krugie- Kindly see the below response from the channel.

We very much appreciate feedback from viewers of our channels in South Africa.  As you may have read in other replies, in common with most cable and satellite channels repeats do feature in our schedules.  Viewing habits differ and generally, most viewers will watch at certain times, rather than throughout the day. Repeats therefore give viewers the opportunity to watch our programmes at a time that suits them and gives viewers who may have missed a series the opportunity to watch it for the first time.  You have specifically mentioned Deal or No Deal and this series rates well on our channel and is consistently one of our top programmes.  My question was not answered at  all. I am not referring to a program/episode being repeated at different times to suit people with different needs. I am referring to the SAME 60 episodes being repeated in an endless cycle OVER AND OVER in the same timeslot every day of the week for years on end. Once we have worked through the 60 episodes they just start showing the same episodes AGAIN. If this rates as one of their top programs it either means their surveys are as wrong as can be or it says a lot about their other programming. I dare them to find one person that is happy with seeing the same episodes over and ober for the last 3 years. Yes, people might rate it as a favourite program but they have stop watching years  ago when they realised they have seen all the epsodeswe are getting.. The fact that it is popular is even more reason to bring us never-before-seen episodes!

We also receive requests to repeat shows and we re-introduced a repeat of EastEnders on BBC Brit after requests from fans.   We plan to bring to viewers new Deal or No Deal USA later in the year and we would recommend that you keep a check on our website https://www.bbcsouthafrica.com/ where we highlight new programmes coming onto the channel. For fans of quiz shows we have new episodes of Pointless from 11 February on BBC Brit.  Premiere content on BBC Brit in January include new series of QI, Top Gear: Winter Blunderland, Ricky Gervais’ Child Support, Dragons’ Den series 16, Death In Paradise series 8, The Crystal Maze series 2 and Live From The BBC.

The 11 Feb details provided about Pointless are incorrect. It is today 15 Feb We are still getting repeat episodes of season 10 - all of which we have already seen. We were at least promised season 11 this year (some time ago) but it certainly didn't start on 11 Feb - please advise/clarify. The news about Deal Or No Deal USA should be welcomed I guess although I can just imagine how many times that will then be repeated as well. However, there are LITERALLY at least 2,000 UK episodes from seasons 5 to 13 that we have never seen - is this too much to ask for? This goes as far back as 2009 so it is most certainly not expensive prime time content to obtain. As for the other series mentioned, I am aware of them and am watching some but it has no relation to my query. Let's not get carried away because we have 6 or 8 never before seen series over a 60 day / 2 month period - we should be getting at  least SOME new content daily – even if it is just one program.

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).

@krugie - Kindly see the below response from the channel.

We very much appreciate feedback from viewers of our channels in South Africa.  As you may have read in other replies, in common with most cable and satellite channels repeats do feature in our schedules.  Viewing habits differ and generally, most viewers will watch at certain times, rather than throughout the day. Repeats therefore give viewers the opportunity to watch our programmes at a time that suits them and gives viewers who may have missed a series the opportunity to watch it for the first time.  You have specifically mentioned Deal or No Deal and this series rates well on our channel and is consistently one of our top programmes.  

We also receive requests to repeat shows and we re-introduced a repeat of EastEnders on BBC Brit after requests from fans.   We plan to bring to viewers new Deal or No Deal USA later in the year and we would recommend that you keep a check on our website https://www.bbcsouthafrica.com/ where we highlight new programmes coming onto the channel. For fans of quiz shows we have new episodes of Pointless from 11 February on BBC Brit.  Premiere content on BBC Brit in January include new series of QI, Top Gear: Winter Blunderland, Ricky Gervais’ Child Support, Dragons’ Den series 16, Death In Paradise series 8, The Crystal Maze series 2 and Live From The BBC.

Hi @krugie, checking with the channel. We'll keep you posted. 

Highlighted
Red Carpet

Absolutely @grantm - there is zero enjoyment in watching these types  of shows over and over - not even for a 2nd time - and any person that hasn;t seen these episodes (which are already 10 years old) by now are certainly not interested in seeing them!

@Grace_DStv1 @Cya_DStv1 - can someone please follow up for a proper repsonse?

Viewer

Krugie, I am in complete agreement. The level of repeats on the BBC channels on DSTV are completely unacceptable. There is not enough new content to fill one BBC channel, let alone 4. It’s a complete insult to DSTV viewers, and it’s getting more and more difficult to justify paying R900 a month for this.

My wife and I are huge fans of Deal or No Deal, but BBC Brit have destroyed our enjoyment of the show. The same 150 or so episodes in Season 4 have been shown in a loop about 3 or 4 times now. When my wife contacted BBC South Africa about it, she was fobbed off with lame excuses about how viewers love the chance to watch episodes they might have missed. I must also mention that the 6:15pm episode of Deal or No Deal is repeated FOUR times the next day! More than enough chances for people to catch up. And why should loyal viewers have to suffer through years of repeats to give others a chance to catch up? They should just admit that they DO NOT take their audience feedback seriously and will do whatever they like. I’m also not interested in their standard response of highlighting the sprinkling of 2 or 3 new shows coming up that we are supposed to be grateful for.

I won’t even get started on endless repeats of Pointless, QI, Top Gear, etc. And from Monday I see they are repeating “Impossible” YET AGAIN from Season 1, Episode 1.

DSTV, we need answers – and urgently.

Red Carpet

So.. while I am still waiting for a response from the channel, I note that series 4 is coming to an end (again) next Thu with episode 289... and guess what? On Fri we jump back again to series 4 episode 141. So we will get the same roughly 140 episodes that we have been getting for probably the last 5 years ALL OVER AGAIN!!!! Seeing the same contestants winning the same amounts they have been doing for as far back as most of us can remember...

How can this be an acceptable service to the viewers or - even more so - to MC? How can MC not react to this and get the channel to wake up? I am not letting this go - not only until an answer is received but until some new episodes start airing. So I suggest a proper response is obtained from either the channel or MC or both - not only as to what will be done but also exactly WHEN. It took about 3 years for action on Pointless (and still all we got was the bare minimum) so I am ready for the battle...

Man Frustrated