Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Showmax stream-collapses (Explora 1)

4 REPLIES 4
Stu
Telenovela

Re: Showmax stream-collapses (Explora 1)

@Optimist wrote:

@Stu  , could be the same thing exactly if... you just ran out of buffer due to it losing the stream-connection, but only became aware of it when the buffer had been used up.

Dare I ask MC / Showmax for comment... anyone want to bet that there won't be any?

Bah!  :-(

I don't think that was the case with me as it happened several times on a 2Mbps line. I was new to the system and couldn't figure out what was happening, but finally figured it out. Not sure if it's a problem with everyone or just me. But it doesn't affect me now due to the fibre 10Mbps line. Hope you come right.

Showmaxed

@Stu  , could be the same thing exactly if... you just ran out of buffer due to it losing the stream-connection, but only became aware of it when the buffer had been used up.

Dare I ask MC / Showmax for comment... anyone want to bet that there won't be any?

Bah!  :-(

Showmaxed

Thanks @Stu  . Similar but not the same it seems, mine is certainly not buffer related as I use longer periods and monitor all that. I've also seen in the past that when the buffer is caught up, in my case the streaming does continue, with the viewing simply paused by the software - in effect creating its own buffer until the user resumes viewing.

I don't think "speed" can be a concern here at all, as the buffering prevents that becoming a problem and it works normally all too often.

Unless it's another marketing gain abuse, perhaps originally in cooperation with M-WEB when the MC group owned them as well?? sorry for the added conspiracy theories but MC's profiteering abuses have been proven too many times to mention so they have done that to their own (original) good name... @SMMIntegration  take note... although I believe Lithium is just as bent.

Anyway, if MC & co. are interested in recovery here's the facts for yet another of the humongous list of poor service issues. Who knows why we still bother to report them at all, not sure if I'm seeing enough light at the end of this thin long tunnel.

Stu
Telenovela

I had this happen to me when I was on a 2Mbps line. It's a fault in the software.

When I upgarded to a 4Mbps and then 10Mbps line it never happened as it downloaded faster than I was watching, that is not the case with a 2Mbps line.

When on a 2Mbps line I always buffered about 5min to make sure that the program didn't catch up with the download - NOTE whenever the program catches up with the amount downloaded and the program stops, it doesn't allow you to rebuffer. You can rewind, but it never allows you to go forward in the program, in other words it stops buffering and you are stuck at that point and have to start the program over. Very annoying and something Multichoice needs to sort out asap.

Showmaxed

Showmax stream-collapses (Explora 1)

What do I mean by "stream-collapses"?

You're watching a title and suddenly it stops streaming, and NEVER gets going again.

I would guess that this happens about once in 6 titles on average.

It's usually after about 90% of the content having been viewed, sometimes just before halfway, but can vary.

It's not due to buffering - I only have 2Mb/s so always buffer a few minutes before viewing, but never catchup to the end of the stream as the streaming speed is mostly good on Showmax.

It's not a bad connection either. Through the years that we've seen this go on, we're always able to do a successful connectivity test while the stream is "stuck", which includes a green tick mark for the Showmax service, but the stream never resumes so must be restarted.

An odd thing is that one can even reboot the modem-router while the stream is working ok, and it then continues as if it was never interrupted. This says to me that it has to instead be a software issue.

A recent big binge by us showed its behaviour in detail - we watched all 52 episodes of The Magicians.

Also note that we mostly only use the SD quality option.

We use ADSL, and use a wired ethernet connection. No other specific connectivity issues of concern here (if ignoring any DStv online issues).

Anyone else experienced this, and willing to comment...? If so TIA.

@Grace_DStv1  , must mention your name again as it seems to be the best way to usually get things done here ;-)

Thanks!