Did you mean: 
Need help?

CHANGE TO SINGLE VIEW FAVOURITE SELECTION

SOLVED
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Red Carpet

Re: CHANGE TO SINGLE VIEW FAVOURITE SELECTION

You might still find some of the 4-series decoders around. MC supply only the 5-series decoder which has one HDMI port and one small form RCA connector on the back.

No RF ports.  This decoder will require an external RF re-modulator to be able to use the existing RF distribution. Space TV is the place I would go to or try hdcabling.co.za.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Doccie

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the reply, all is clear to me now. The MC agent showed me the single view HD decoder with only one HDMI output, I assume that this is the Series 5. Do you know if MC still produce the series 4? This would be exactly what I require to connect to my current Setup.

As far as the Coax is concerned, I was not wearing my glasses, which explains the misidentification, it is indeed RG6.

Bruce

Red Carpet

Thanks for the clarity. There have been new transponders added today and that is normally preceded by a few things being done in preparation a few days before which could very well mean small changes to the sw of older decoders, which MC never announce, or document, or record as a formal sw update. 

So the problem could have simply been a minor temporary glitch, still annoying at the time.

So to get back to your post. 

The new series 4- and series 5- HD single view decoders all have HDMI ports because that is a requirement for connection to an HD TV and hence the display of HD. Older decoders cannot and never will be able to fully display HD quality because they are simply incapable of decoding an HD signal. Hence ALL the older decoders are provided with an SD version of the channels on different transponders to that used for the HD versions of channels.

You can, however, buy gadgets and devices from HDcabling.co.za; Space TV etc., which allow you to "convert" SD signals to HD standards, bearing in mind that the quality will not be HD but will allow you to connect older decoders to an HDMI port on a TV. A bit costly and pointless.

The reverse is more common, and that is to convert HD signals back to SD, to allow you distribute the signals via RCA or RF to remote TVs, which is what you will have to do IF you decide to replace your older single view decoders with the new ones.  These devices will use the RCA connections on the new decoders to feed into an RF remodulator which you can then use to feed your older analogue TVs via the RF distribution.

However, one has to ask whether this is worth the effort because analogue TVs are on the way out.

The 4-series HD decoders still have RF ports. The 5-series no longer have RF ports at all.

Let me know if there is more that we can help with.

Why, BTW, are you using RG59 (50 Ohm) cables for your RF distribution? Are you sure that they are not RG6 (75 Ohm)?

In summary then,

With the older 11xx decoders Rf distribution is as it has always been.

The 4-series HD decoders are compatible with existing RF distribution because the decoders still have RF ports. The quality of all the channels are however SD and NOT HD.

The 5-series decoders require an external RF remodulator fed via the RCA ports to be able to use existing RF distribution setups.

You can continue to distribute TV via an existing RF setup IF you buy external devices that are able to distribute HDMI via RF.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Doccie

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the response.

I discovered last night that I could make selections using the 8 day guide. This morning eveything had reverted to normal, so the escalation must have helped?

My DSTV setup is linked via RG59u cables. I had a look at the single view HD decoder at MC yesterday. This decoder has a single HDMIA output, and the rep that I dealt with at MC assured me that it would work, but I was unable to figure out how I could use the existing RF cables that run between my 3 TV sets to link to HDMIA? The rep said I would need extra boxes & cables to do this. My main TV has HDMIA inputs, but the older ones do not. Any guidance would be appreciated. (I left the HD decoder at MC)

Red Carpet

So you are saying that you could previously set up a list of favourite channels on the 1131 and now can't do that anymore?

Or are you saying that you can no longer mark programs on the tv guide using the autotune function?

Doccie

CHANGE TO SINGLE VIEW FAVOURITE SELECTION

I noticed yesterday (21.01.2019) that when trying to access favourites on my 1131 decoder they had all been erased? I tried to reselect them without succes. The result is that I can no longer program my choice of programs using autotune so that the decoder switches to the desired program automatically. A visit to MC HQ in Randburg this morning left me none the wiser, but they did promise to 'escalate' this query. I would be pleased if MC could advise if this will be investigated. I took my DSD 1131 to Randburg who confirmed that it was operating normally with the exception of the above new anomaly.