Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Football World Cup 2018

14 REPLIES
Highlighted
Doccie

Re: Football World Cup 2018

Enjoying the WC coverage, nice selection of pundits and programmes. Well done.

(The pushing of Showmax is a bit over the top though, if I'm honest, as it has little to do with the WC. So seeing football presenters suddenly break off to tell us about Showmax, while huge Showmax messages constantly scroll across the stop of the studio... well it's a bit embarrassing and cheapens in the whole thing - imo. Sort out the Showman downloading issues on Explora/DSTV Now and we'll be happy to push it for you, then the sports programmes can stick to sports!)

@Revorushin, channel 241 is only available on the DStv Now service. 

Doccie

Thanks for the feedback.

I have noticed that the TV Guide shows a channel 241 second world cup feed channel. Someone posted a picture of the channel on Twitter as well so it does exist but I cant seem to find it on my decoder or DStv Now. 

Community Manager

Hi @Alex, the fixtures for the World Cup are available on the DStv Explora. Please let us know which tournament you're referring to and we’ll look into the matter.

Community Manager

Hi Revorushin, the FIFA World Cup pop-up channels were made available from Wednesday 18 April to 11 June 2018. They were there to get fans fired up for the kick-off. 

The FIFA World Cup commentary will mainly be in English but we have added isiZulu and SeSotho for our SA viewers. Portuguese, Pidgin English and Swahili is available for the ROA.

BoxOffice

@Beetle,

On which channel did this occur? We tuned to SABC 1 for the opening ceremony and match, but saw nothing, and worse, the decoder rebooted so we lost the buffer and only saw the last few minutes of the game.

Soccer is still clearly as boring as it ever was ---- can't remember ever being able to sit through a single game ....Man Indifferent

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
New poster

why is my dstv explora not showing any international fixtures and groups..but my small older decoder has it international fixtures.i can't find it in ssa active on my explora please help..

Action

Was absolutely disgusted at the anchor during the build up to the opening ceremony. Had Robert Marawa, I think it was him, and four 'pundits' in the studio. My what an elaborate and waste of money to build such a place. Surely all that's needed is just a studio where the 'pundits' can give their views? Anyway that's something else. But after introducing the four 'pundits' in some fancy place the five of them proceeded to walk down lavish corridors etc before finally coming to the studio itself. Then three of the 'pundits' and Robert Marawa sat down in comfortable chairs. Poor Andy Townshend had to remain standing for the duration of the broadcast. Approx. an hour and a half long. Please also note that there was NO TOUCHSCREEN being used at this time. He was contributing to the conversation in exactly the same way as the other three 'pundits'. Surely, if ANYONE had to be standing during this presentation it should have been the "anchor". ie Robert Marawa? Or whoever it was that was anchoring the show.

Perhaps the anchor would care to advise just why it was that Andrew Townshend had to spend all that time on his feet? Not knowing the facts behind it I could perhaps be jumping to conclusions but I think Marawa, or whoever was in charge of this broadcast, owes Andy Townshend an apology.

Doccie

Whatever happened to the two popup channels we were promised throughout the worldcup? Neither Supersport 13 nor 14 are live.

Yes, I know they wont offer much extra value, but I thought they would have been used for the commentary-free ambience feeds that were broadcast on Supersport 4 last world cup. 

Was also looking forward to hearing what the fuss is with Pidgin Commentary, but that doesnt seem to be available either. 

Action

Hopefully the Opening Ceremony will only be for a maximum of 15 minutes. I find very few of these ceremonies really add anything to the competition itself. Sometimes they are just plain boring and the messages that they are trying to convey are pretty obscure unless someone in the studio is able to interpret them for us.

Let the games begin.