cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Scoop - sports "advantage" now in ROA?

6 REPLIES 6
Showmaxed

Re: Scoop - sports "advantage" now in ROA?

I see you did understand in your later post :-D

Would be very interesting if someone did a more structured cost and content comparison, if possible... or MC could give us the facts.

Showmaxed

No problem Beetle :-)

@Beetle wrote:

...What I did was to Google GOtv and then look at their schedule. Not bothering if it was for Namibia, Nigeria or any other African country as it was the content that they were providing that was of interest to me. I must assume that their schedules/packages as displayed on their website is the same for all of the ROA?

Very unlikely, and S.A. is usually even more different with items.

Either way, we're not really looking at a replacement for Premium here, so you really are quite far off track this time. It's an examination of how MC / MCA are changing, and if they're playing fair across the board.

Doin' it 4 Tv

Sorry. Just to add, don't want to risk editing, to my previous post. As an alternative to the Compact type packages that we currently have and my lack of knowledge as to what channels are available on these lower end packages, this MAY be a good alternative. But not as an alternative to the Premium package.

Doin' it 4 Tv

Optimist you know me by now and how I always miss the point or go off without having all the facts or something similar. What I did was to Google GOtv and then look at their schedule. Not bothering if it was for Namibia, Nigeria or any other African country as it was the content that they were providing that was of interest to me. I must assume that their schedules/packages as displayed on their website is the same for all of the ROA? So, if correct, then what GOtv are currently offering isn't going to be good enough for local viewers. Most of us anyway. Therefore for them to make it useful they'd have to add a lot more content than what is already being scheduled on their website. This the Maxi offering. To add the sort of content I would like to see would no doubt mean a substantial increase to the subscription.

Sorry about my "denseness". However, as you have I think stated earlier, this COULD be a step in the right direction. But if it's still being run by Multichoice/DStv I don't hold out much hope that there will ever be much benefit for us in South Africa.

Showmaxed

@Beetle  , you've got a bit confused. Not surprising, all these cross-country discussions can mess up our concepts of what goes on, so are usually avoided.

1. Did you look at Go TV in Namibia, or were you looking at the S.A. version?

Either way, you may be right re how thin the offering is - but the point is it's suspected as being much better than an equivalent cheaper DStv package, such as our Access package for R200 (including PVR use) which only gives 200 SS Blitz and 210 SS10

...and even if you exclude the PVR factor I doubt you could come close anyway (at least in appearances) re the Namibia Go offering.

2. Go TV is not a separate company, they are also owned by MC (or by MCA in ROA). Which is why I say they finally appear to be showing signs of a crack in their armour re cheaper options.

• Go TV = Terrestial TV (ground-based broadcast towers) with a normal reception aerial
  • DStv = Digital Satellite TV (broadcast from satellites) with a satellite-related reception dish
Doin' it 4 Tv

This sounded very good to me until I took a look at the GOtv Sports schedule. It would APPEAR that the games shown are repeats of earlier games with only one live EPL game, from the quick look that I took at the schedule, on Saturday 23 Nov. This game being between Arsenal and Southampton. There is also a Torino versus Inter Milan game on the same channel later in the day. However, I must add that the GOtv schedule webpage leaves a lot to be desired. Either that or MY COMPUTER has issues. When trying to look at games for Sunday the 24 they gave these self same two games as also being LIVE. However, be that as it may, although there ARE a game or two from the EPL it could very well happen that you never get to see your team playing as there doesn't seem to be more than one live game broadcast on the Saturday and PERHAPS another one on the Sunday. Cannot say what rugby or cricket, the other two main sports events, this channel will show. Did notice that they will be showing a number of Under 17 World Cup football matches which we have already had on our screens. So although they may be cheap and an alternative to DStv at the moment their content doesn't meet my viewing requirements.

So, yes, thanks Optimist for bringing this to our attention and hopefully it will give Multichoice/ Dstv something to think about so that they don't lose subscribers to these other cheaper options. At the moment though I'd rather pay my R900 for DStv than the R200 for the GOtv offering. However, this may very easily change should a good alternative Sports Package from any other provider materialise.

Highlighted
Showmaxed

Scoop - sports "advantage" now in ROA?

Please would you all try to read this responsibly - I will say what is fact, and what is speculation.

@  MC - do yourselves a favour, offer feedback on this one and with details.

I was on an unrelated fact-finding mission yesterday, which led to one of MCA's websites in Namibia.

It's for their Go TV offerings, which means it's for their terrestrial use, so it isn't DStv itself.

They've had Go much longer so it's more developed, but the packages are also cheap and don't go higher than N$200 p/m which is R200.

The surprise is that they offer a whole lot of sport - or so it seems.

On the top package they have Supersport Select 1, 2, 3 and 5 !

Firstly note the numbers - that suggests to me that there is parallel with some ordinary sport channels.

But also note the word "Select" - something that has been associated with their minor sport channels in the past. (And which will cause some confusion in S.A., as MC & co. always does, but it's not related to our discontinued Select packages.)

So... I suspect that they're getting watered-down versions, possibly time limited, maybe with little or no live sport events.

But what it certainly looks like is a real crack in the sports monopoly, finally.

And remember ROA (Rest Of Africa) is struggling more than here, so don't expect anything anytime soon, and note it's NOT available on their satellite service. But at least there could be a plan if things got worse.