Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

SuperSport news conference this afternoon

SOLVED
7 REPLIES
Doccie

Re: SuperSport news conference this afternoon

Thanks for the update. Hope it is eventually resolved.

@RyanDavid@krugie@Beetle Following the on-air incident on Saturday, senior management and staff of MultiChoice and SuperSport met with the four presenters, namely Ashwin Willemse, Nick Mallett, Naas Botha and Motshidisi Mohono, at SuperSport today.

Meetings were also conducted with Anthony Banks, the director, and Mandla Ntsibande, the producer, who worked on the night.

The meetings were positive and cordial with the presenters engaging directly with one another. There was a significant move in the parties finding common ground.

SuperSport and MultiChoice have, however, requested all parties that we continue with a deeper engagement process to confront the complex issues which our past has thrust upon the workplace.

This is merely the first stage of the process to address the issues raised by the weekend’s events.

All the parties have agreed to continue participating in this process.

Said Ashwin Willemse: “We had robust discussions in which I aired my views. I’m very appreciative of the process undertaken by SuperSport. The complexity of the issues are very profound.”

Said Nick Mallett: “I appreciated the opportunity to air my views. Clearly there are issues that must be grappled with. I am more than happy to collaborate and contribute to resolving this matter.”

Said Naas Botha: “This was a first meeting and we all had our say, which was helpful. We’ve invested in a process to resolve matters and I’m confident that we will get a satisfactory resolution.”

Highlighted
Doccie

I obviously have no inside knowledge of what went on (I watch less rugby in general these days but was never the biggest fan of Ashwin's analysis - my favourites were Mallet, Shimange and de Villiers with Xola Ntshinga doing a good job as presenter), but reading this article was interesting, even if it is all unnamed sources and speculation.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/revealed-what-caused-former-bok-to-walk-off-set-20180520

Guess some sort of reconciliation would be the best for all involved, but sounds like some prickly characters clashing. Tough for SS in political and PR terms if they get rid of one of them or take a side in this mess.

BoxOffice

@Beetle wrote:

Is this a racial problem or simply a disagreement between them.

From the latest News24 article:

Mawela added that, from what had been said in the discussions so far, there did not seem to be any racist behaviour involved. 

"We did not see any racism anywhere," he said.

"As far as we can see it is people who were having a discussion, but we need to dig deeper to see what the underlying reasons were."

Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Action

Apparently Mallet had to leave to catch a plane back to Cape Town. This from representatives of MC as shown on the eNCA news at 18:00. They went on to say that all parties are prepared to work with each other. Somehow I doubt this will happen but let's see. However more meetings are due to be taking place with the crew who were filming the show.

Amidst all the accusations and threats and whatnot going on over social media the best comment I have seen has come from a member of parliament who said that everyone must let Supersport/MC carry out their investigation and get to the bottom of what happened before throwing out accusations. Is this a racial problem or simply a disagreement between them.

BoxOffice

Apparently (according to eNews) they are still stuck in a meeting and Mallet has left the premises looking very unhappy. There will also no longer be a news conference. #SUSPENSE

Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).

@krugie SuperSport statement on Ashwin Willemse - News

​SuperSport has noted with concern the events that saw presenter Ashwin Willemse walk out of the SuperSport studio on Saturday evening.

A preliminary investigation is underway and will include senior management meeting with all the presenters (Ashwin Willemse, Nick Mallett, Naas Botha and Motshidisi Mohono) and the production staff in Johannesburg today.

SuperSport acknowledges the comments from the Ministry of Sport and Recreation and will engage with Minister of Sport and Recreation Thokozile Xasa’s office in this regard.

Said Calvo Mawela, CEO: Multichoice SA, the parent company of SuperSport: "SuperSport has taken note of the strong public sentiment and we take this matter seriously. Whatever the findings, appropriate action will be taken to remedy the situation."

Prejudice of any sort will not be tolerated by SuperSport.
SuperSport will keep the public and media informed of the investigation.
BoxOffice

SuperSport news conference this afternoon

Apparently there will be a SuperSport news conference this afternoon around 15H30/16H00 regarding the Ashwin Willemse  saga - and all parties will be present. It will be live on eNews at whatever time it starts.