Supersport coverage of English Premier League 2017/18

26 REPLIES 26
Doccie

Re: Supersport coverage of English Premier League 2017/18

Good luck! Been there and done that. i know all of the executives

Clinton Van Der Berg,

Doccy Doc Rac

Candice Van Zyl etc

You will end up dealing with Sandile who is in charge of communications under Clinton. Been on this forum for donkey years...

Doin' it 4 Tv

I am a keen football follower and am all for every game being shown live but perhaps there also comes a time when we football followers need to step back and allow some other sports to be broadcast? Maybe we should look at what other LIVE sports were being broadcast across the various sports channels at the time? Football games all kicked off at 16:00. Other LIVE sports that I can recall being broadcast at around this time were Formula One Qualifying(?), Giro d Italia and Superrugby? Think there may have also been Tennis and local football. Perhaps the Formula One Qualifying could have been delayed but I'm sure those following this sport wouldn't have been too happy. Likewise with the rugby and cycling. Much as I don't like it I think Supersport did the best they could do when it came to showing the games live ON OUR TV. Yes, if the Liverpool game wasn't shown live I'd have been terribly disappointed but if there was nothing at stake in the game then I'd have been more understanding. Don't think any of the important games that were played on Sunday were delayed?

As for the streaming of those games that were not shown live I'm afraid I have little to no knowledge on how this actually works? Does DStv actually require one of the tv broadcast channels for streaming or can this be done some other way?

Highlighted
Doccie

NBC aired all ten of the games this weekend live on actual tv channels and not just online 

Sky Sports had all ten ten games available on their satellite decoders via redbutton

Fox Sports in Asia Pacic did the same  

Unlike Supersport, none of those channels have 15 sports channels to use on a regular day. 

New poster

Supersport have already paid for the live rights to all 380 matches from the Premier League for three years. It's not going to cost them any more to make a couple more streams available in the app for a couple of hours each Saturday (in recent weeks, 1-2 games at 3pm have not been shown). 

Anyway, I'm not going to argue the toss with you here, I have a dialogue open with Supersport so I'm going to progress that Smiley Happy

Doccie

@maccywrote: 

And let the fans of the specific teams decide what games are worth watching live or not, not put the decision in the hands of a senior Supersport executive. After all, until I pointed it out to them they were claiming to be showing all 380 games live this season. 

TV particularly Sports quite doesn't work like that. Considering the fact that you are familiar with the US market please let me know why an ad  on SuperBowl can cost up to 1 Million dollars while in a normal NFL game you'd pay a fraction of that? It's all about ratings not about what fan wants to watch what. How many NHL, NBA, NFL or MLS games do you get live in the US concurrently? Are you really telling me all of them are available every single week which i know is utterly false. So yes SS have their shortcomings but on this one i stand with them because they have a strong case.

I rest my case.

New poster

Technically it is easy. Given access to the relevant equipment, I could do it.

And let the fans of the specific teams decide what games are worth watching live or not, not put the decision in the hands of a senior Supersport executive. After all, until I pointed it out to them they were claiming to be showing all 380 games live this season. 

Doccie

@maccywrote:

I get that there isn't enough capacity on satellite to make all the games available, but I don't understand why they can't make them all available via the website and/or app. Most of the time I watch on my iPad anyway.

In the US, select games are shown across the linear NBC-owned channels on cable and satellite. All of the others are available in the NBC Sports Gold app; Supersport could easily do something similar from next season.

Don't claim easy what you don't have insight to. First of all,  you hardly have 10 games played concurrently and those that are picked are done so based on the order of importance at the time. The most important 8 games were shown and too bad if anyone's preferred team was not shown live. it would have been shown later. Many of them were dead rubbers anyway...And by the way there's a lot SuperSport can boast about that NBC Sports ain't have.

New poster

I get that there isn't enough capacity on satellite to make all the games available, but I don't understand why they can't make them all available via the website and/or app. Most of the time I watch on my iPad anyway.

In the US, select games are shown across the linear NBC-owned channels on cable and satellite. All of the others are available in the NBC Sports Gold app; Supersport could easily do something similar from next season.

Doccie

I honestly think there's just much more they're covering and they do what they can. Honestly to have 10 live games across 10 channels is too much for the non-soccer fans. it was decent what they did

Doccie

So strange that Supersport is not airing all ten games of the final day live today. Back in the day they aired a live match even on Blitz just so that every match could be broadcast. It's as if they dont try anymore.