cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

World cricket

Action

Re: World cricket

Wouldn't expect the tail enders to put up too much of a show but they should do better than 8 runs. Unfortunately what is sadly lacking in the Protea set up is a truly worthwhile allrounder. Doesn't have to be as good as a Kallis but someone who can at least come up with a couple of wickets and the odd 50 or so. At the moment it doesn't look like we have anyone of that sort available to us. 

Romance

@Beetle wrote:

I believe we lost 8 wickets for 5 runs in 6 overs and 3 balls? Disgusting. 

5 wickets for 8 runs, although that's not much better...

Four of those wickets were the bowlers, but while their job isn't to bat, they would be expected to put up a better showing than that.  Especially Philander, who's earmarked as an all-rounder and batting at 7, although that's really one place too high for him.  And that's down to them wanting to play Olivier, something which is understandable given the series he had against Pakistan, but the consequence is that it weakens the batting too much.

Action

I have seen keepers wearing pads under their trousers but cannot say in what format of the game it was. Oh well, was just a thought that I had and was wondering what the answer could be. Thanks for the answers. Now it's back to our disasterous, well last couple of batsmen anyway, Protea side. I believe we lost 8 wickets for 5 runs in 6 overs and 3 balls? Disgusting. 

Doin' it 4 Tv

Can't remember seeing keeper pads under the pants in tests... although I haven't specifally looked for it Smiley Happy  Shorter version of the game , probably T20s . Even then it should be uncomfortable unless worn with something underneath it.. long socks or similar . 

SLNB LMX501| Explora 2A (Primary 4,5,6) Explora 2A (Secondary 0,1,2) | Xtraview - decoders same room | 3 distributed HDMI endpoints via 2x4 Matrix
and Cat6 | 200/100 Fibre (OpenServe/Afrihost Premium UnCapped) | HD 5S in holiday mode
Action

Regarding the chaffing from the pads should one be wearing shorts. I have seen numerous players on the tv, practicing in the nets wearing shorts and pads. Admittedly they wouldn't be wearing the pads for hours on end. But what about the wicketkeepers who wear pads under their long pants? Don't they suffer from chaffing if that is what happens if players wear them with short pants? Again, I'm not trying to make an issue of this just looking for some answers. Suppose it all comes back down to "tradition" and the game starting as a "gentleman's" game. 

As to the other comment re my not complaining if commentators had a Liverpool celebrity in the box I think my comments would still be the same as for the golfing one. Yes, I suppose I would perhaps be a bit more interested in what would be said, but that still doesn't make it right. The odd comment about any other sport is acceptable to me but not to the extent that this golfing discussion went on for. But even if it was a footballing discussion with Liverpool celebrities I still think, hasn't happened so cannot be too sure, that while commentating on a cricket match to the rest of the world the commentators shouldn't be talking for so long about any other sport. Irrespective of who is in the commentary box. What does this say about the cricket that's being played out in the middle and the players taking part? 

Highlighted
Doin' it 4 Tv

Being a golfer myself I didn't mind the KP/Ernie issue. Pretty sure if one of the LFC stars was in the commentary box, BB wouldn't have minded Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

Cricket is/was considered the gentlemens game... hence the long pants. Also the pads are going to chafe the living daylights out of your calves where the velcro sits

Keeper pads are normally the shorter version and won't be used for batting

SLNB LMX501| Explora 2A (Primary 4,5,6) Explora 2A (Secondary 0,1,2) | Xtraview - decoders same room | 3 distributed HDMI endpoints via 2x4 Matrix
and Cat6 | 200/100 Fibre (OpenServe/Afrihost Premium UnCapped) | HD 5S in holiday mode
Action

Seeing as how we talking a bit of cricket here and there's a fair bit of banter going on I want to ask a question. Cricket is a summer sport while football and rugby are winter sports. So why is it that cricketers wear long pants but footballers wear shorts? Not a trick question just something that I'm curious about. Yes, it's harder to run in long pants so shorts for football perhaps makes sense. Although these days there are tights that could be used. Then for cricketers they need to wear thigh guards and pads but, in so much as pads are concerned, these are often worn by wicketkeepers under their trousers. So shorts shouldn't be a problem here. Just something that took my interest. 

Red Carpet

Completely agree BB, that very long golfing carry-on during the one Pakistan involved match was not acceptable. I understand he was considered a VIP for this involvement and that many like him, but it was unprofessional and a hindrance to the viewing.

Trending

Is that why the Aussies are so fond of fiddling with the seam?  Just asking  Smiley Surprised

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Action

Jan I hope you weren't watching when during one of the previous games with Kevin Pietersen in the commentary box they got into a golfing discussion. I don't have a problem with them discussing things other than cricket as they do mostly bring humour or informative bits of info to our attention. But this golfing discussion went on for a good few overs and that's all they were speaking about. Think they did stop ONCE to give the score but that was about it. For the rest it was golf, golf and more golf. Oh yes, they had Ernie Else in the commentary box at the time. Very bad considering the feed was going out worldwide, or so I think, and they were focusing on a South African golfer instead of the cricket.