Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

World cricket

SOLVED
Doin' it 4 Tv

Re: World cricket

Firstly, irrespective of anything else, I think lots of credit must be given to the Sri Lankan batsman. Perara. We may not have bowled well but he still needed to put the ball away. So, congratulations to him on a superb innings. However, Sri Lanka should never have been able to reach the target. That they did so was mainly due to some poor bowling and exceptionally bad field placings. How the final two batsmen were able to constantly take a single off the second or last ball of every over defies belief. Another problem, mentioned by the commentators, is that early in the final partnership Olivier was bowling to Perera and he was bowling well below his maximum pace. Almost as if it was a case of the game having been won and now it was simply a matter of going through the motions. IF this is the case then there's something seriously wrong in our mental approach to the game. As professional players earning high wages I would expect them to act professionally and that there'd be no slackening off in intensity. Whether bowling to the top order or bottom order batsmen. Also, our bowlers seem to rely far too much on short pitched balls. Try bowling to a decent length, or perhaps even a yorker or two, instead of constantly trying to bounce the batsman out. 

No, I'm afraid this was an extremely poor performance by the Captain Faf du Plessis and his chargers. Our batting wasn't all that good and neither was the bowling. But having got into the winning position that we found ourselves in we should never have lost this game. 

I think I may be a lone voice here but as far as I'm concerned South African cricket is nowhere near as good as some like to think we are. I know that different formats perhaps require different players but do we really need to use as many players as we've been using for Test, ODI and T20 matches? Surely, after the past season or two, we should have settled sides for these three formats? Winning of an International cap shouldn't be given out as cheaply as it is being done so at the moment. Selectors are trying to give as many players a chance as possible but are overdoing it. Should decide who they think is the best players and pick them. Then give those players a decent run in the side and only then if they don't come off replace them with someone else. 

Thankfully this is only a cricket thread and not a rugby one as well. Would be even more rants from me regarding the Stormers humiliation. End of rant. 

Red Carpet

Once again, the phrase "SA has managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory"

Or as one of the commentators said, "SA continues to find new ways to lose"

Just ridiculous!

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Highlighted
Action

@Beetle wrote:

Citanul, I did think of Mulder but couldn't think of anyone else that hasn't been tried before. Parnell, Morris, Wiese etc etc etc. Mulder may not be a bad call but the question then arises in place of whom? Go back to the old school of not playing a spinner?

As ridiculous as it might seem, I would play Mulder in place of Olivier.  I know that Olivier was man of the series against Pakistan, but he doesn't have the pedigree of the other three quick bowlers, and may not necessarily be so effective on wickets that don't offer quite as much pace and bounce.

The problem with the current team line-up is that in order to play four fast bowlers and a spinner, Philander as the best batsman of the five bowlers has to bat at 7, which is one spot too high for him.  Mulder is definitely good enough to bat at 7 (in fact he's good enough to bat higher), so bringing him into the side strengthens the batting while still allowing us to have four seam bowlers.  The bowling probably wouldn't be quite as strong as it's fair to say that Olivier is the better bowler, but Steyn, Rabada, and Philander still make up one the best fast bowling combinations around.

BoxOffice

Old enough to remember starched collars 😊🤢

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
Doin' it 4 Tv

Citanul, I did think of Mulder but couldn't think of anyone else that hasn't been tried before. Parnell, Morris, Wiese etc etc etc. Mulder may not be a bad call but the question then arises in place of whom? Go back to the old school of not playing a spinner? 

Jan you old enough to remember dressing up, collar and tie, for the movies? But to wear a tie while working in the garden is taking it a bit too far. In my opinion anyway. Still, it takes all kinds to make the world go round. 

BoxOffice

Yea I would agree that the long pants is tradition and linked to the gentleman's game label. Cricket were always labelled the Gentleman's game  where honesty was expected of the players. Where walking when you knew you were out were expected. Hence the expression "that's not cricket" when someone  did something unethically. 

I am actually surprised that they are not wearing ties as well. I once worked for a boss who was born in the same country where cricket originated. He considered it not to be dressed without wearing a tie. One  Saturday afternoon I drove past his house and there was Willie mowing the lawn dressed in shorts long socks laced up shoes long sleeve shirt and wearing his tie. 

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
Action

@Beetle wrote:

At the moment it doesn't look like we have anyone of that sort available to us. 

We do.  Wiaan Mulder averages 43 with the bat and 24 with the ball in first-class cricket.

He's been injured, but since his return he made 146 in one match for the Lions and picked up a four-wicket haul in another.  I don't see any good reason why he shouldn't be in the test side.

Doin' it 4 Tv

Wouldn't expect the tail enders to put up too much of a show but they should do better than 8 runs. Unfortunately what is sadly lacking in the Protea set up is a truly worthwhile allrounder. Doesn't have to be as good as a Kallis but someone who can at least come up with a couple of wickets and the odd 50 or so. At the moment it doesn't look like we have anyone of that sort available to us. 

Action

@Beetle wrote:

I believe we lost 8 wickets for 5 runs in 6 overs and 3 balls? Disgusting. 

5 wickets for 8 runs, although that's not much better...

Four of those wickets were the bowlers, but while their job isn't to bat, they would be expected to put up a better showing than that.  Especially Philander, who's earmarked as an all-rounder and batting at 7, although that's really one place too high for him.  And that's down to them wanting to play Olivier, something which is understandable given the series he had against Pakistan, but the consequence is that it weakens the batting too much.

Doin' it 4 Tv

I have seen keepers wearing pads under their trousers but cannot say in what format of the game it was. Oh well, was just a thought that I had and was wondering what the answer could be. Thanks for the answers. Now it's back to our disasterous, well last couple of batsmen anyway, Protea side. I believe we lost 8 wickets for 5 runs in 6 overs and 3 balls? Disgusting.