Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

World cricket

SOLVED
Doin' it 4 Tv

Re: World cricket

227/9 After the 50 overs is a lot more than I was expecting us to score. Will this be a winning score remains to be seen. IF our bowlers bowl to their full potential then perhaps, although a lowish score, our 227 may yet prove to be too much for the Indian players. Let's hope so. Good recovery by the lower end batsmen. Or should that read bowlers? 

As to where the problems lie I think that is something that everyone would like answers to. Personally I don't think it's down to any one reason but rather a combination of them starting from our Franchise level and continuing into how we prepared for this tournament. However, I'm not going there as it has been discussed before. Perhaps Citanul who, and I'm being truthful here, has a much better understanding and reasoning ability here, can give us his views? 

I'm not so sure that all batsmen are able to read the ball out of the bowler's hand and some do prefer to play the ball "off the pitch". Quite often bowlers cover the ball until the final moment of delivery. Having played the game at a very VERY LOW level I was never able to read the ball coming out of the bowler's hand. Guess that accounts for why I was never very good at the game. Whether or not this is something that is taught to batsmen I don't know. 

Nominee

Another fault I'm sure most of us just heard discussed - that our batsman are reading the type of ball spin delivery as it bounces off the pitch too close to them, instead of as it leaves the bowlers' hands. Surely that's part of basic training??

Nominee

Besides those wickets, the current run rate is never going to be good enough with the Indians either so not sure how much more I'll watch of this torture.

Faf looks really determined and caring about all this though, feeling for him.

There's lots of theories going around about what's the main problem gong on - some are;

Lack of preparedness for the CWC

Selections based on emotional issues

Choking

Lack of respect or reasonable attitude

Failing-S.A.-in-general state of mind

Would be interesting to hear what out forum experts, @Citanul  and @Beetle  have to say about it, and other theories and thoughts any of us have.

Highlighted
Trending

@GeoffD wrote:

Today is D-day for SA. If SA fails today, they might as well come home.

Well we are not off to a great start... seems even if we bat first it is more a case of battling...

Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Action

@Beetle wrote:

Still on cricket but on a slightly different topic. Anyone seen any of the cricket cards that Pick n Pay are giving away when you purchase items over a certain amount? Not an advert for Pick n Pay but I happened to see one of the cards which was for Bavuma. Now, I'm no great fan of his but, according to the stats of his displayed on the card, he has played two ODI matches for the Proteas and scored in the region of 160 runs with an average of around 80. Not sure who these runs were scored against but I think it was Zimbabwe. He is also a very good fielder not so? I'm just curious, as usual, as to why, with an average like he has, he hasn't been given more of a look in?

Bavuma's two matches were against Ireland and Bangladesh at home, so you probably can't read too much into his average there.  The reason he may not have got mroe of a look in is that in all limited overs matches (domestic and international) he averages 31.46, with a strike rate of 82.67, and Markram, Miller, and Duminy all average more and score quicker (Duminy only slightly quicker, but still with a higher average).

Doin' it 4 Tv

I was one of those who thought Amla was lucky to have been selected for this tournament in the first place. However, he was the form batsman going into the first match of ours and by his two warm up matches seemed to have proven that he deserved to be there. Unfortunately, getting unjured didn't help the Protea's cause coming when it did. Whether or not Amla, as Citanul suggested, would have been able to be that player that others could bat around we'll never know. But surely there should be some other batsman who could have stepped into the breach once Amla went off? IF that was the plan for Amla in the first place? 

Steyn? Another that's more injured than not. Can understand why the selectors took a chance on him but he has now proven that he's too much of a risk and he should now announce his retirement from the game. Or be told to retire by CSA. On the subject of retirement I can see a number of players doing so after the World Cup has ended. Amla, Steyn, Duminy - who has, I believe, already made some sort of announcement to this effect and I won't be surprised if Faf also says he's had enough. All of them to then go "chase the money" in County or some other form of cricket competitions. At their ages I can understand them doing so and would wish them well. 

As for today's game against the Indians I wouldn't be too surprised if the Protea's actuall cause an upset and shock us all. However, I wouldn't put any money on it and the smart money will be on an Indian victory. Odd's must be heavily stacked against us. Lose and, as Geoff D says, we may as well pack our bags and return home. Win, and we perhaps only delay the inevitable. Cannot see us finishing in the top four and progressing to the semis. 

Still on cricket but on a slightly different topic. Anyone seen any of the cricket cards that Pick n Pay are giving away when you purchase items over a certain amount? Not an advert for Pick n Pay but I happened to see one of the cards which was for Bavuma. Now, I'm no great fan of his but, according to the stats of his displayed on the card, he has played two ODI matches for the Proteas and scored in the region of 160 runs with an average of around 80. Not sure who these runs were scored against but I think it was Zimbabwe. He is also a very good fielder not so? I'm just curious, as usual, as to why, with an average like he has, he hasn't been given more of a look in? 

Finally, in case anyone is wondering why the Indian cricket side are only playing their first game today, I believe it is because the ICC has some sort of agreement with the Indian cricket authorities that India would not play any games until .... 12 days? ... have passed after the IPL has ended. Go figure who runs cricket world wide. 

Right, 11:20 and time to go watch our heroes take on India. 

Red Carpet

Today is D-day for SA. If SA fails today, they might as well come home.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Nominee

Thanks for the detail. Perhaps my chief concern is that the warm-up matches were friendly, not the same kind of pressure. I used to have similar doubts about Kallis in his day, also a great player but IMO with too much (and I thought worsening) caution.

For the CWC in general here's hoping some sort of general turn-around may come about, but I'm not getting my hopes up again to any serious degree. I honestly believe what I saw in the England match was indeed choking.

Action

Amla is coming to the end of his career and is no longer the force he once was.  He's definitely been struggling for runs in test matches and to a lesser extent in limited overs, particularly in recent domestic matches.  Although that has coincided with his father being quite ill, so understandably had other things on his mind, and being distracted like that wouldn't have helped his search for runs.

However, he did well in the warm-up matches and looked to be back in some sort of form.  In both matches we've had to chase scores of over 300, and in that scenario you ideally want someone to bat deep while everyone else bats around them, and Amla is the player in the South African team best suited for that role.  So while you obviously can't say with any certainty what would have happened, I do think his injury against England which took him out of that match and rendered him unavailable for the Bangladesh match did affect our ability to chase the scores.  Of course, we shouldn't have had to chase such a high score (especially against Bangladesh), but that's another story... 

Nominee

Amla. One of my favourite players ever, but I have to ask - is he too much of a patient gentleman for anything but test matches these days? Or even for any of those, given the modern win-at-all-costs only priority as has happened in all sports now.

No comment otherwise, didn't even bother to watch yesterday. (But saw the result.)