Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

World cricket

SOLVED
Doin' it 4 Tv

Re: World cricket

Injuries, retirements, inconsistency, lack of true commitment and who knows what not else are all to blame for the poor performances of late. Discipline is another. Once players start dictating, as some appear to have been doing, when and where they want to play cracks start to appear. Players no longer have the desire to represent the country and prefer saving themselves for the "money" tournaments. 

However, all that said and done I still feel that the main problem starts at Franchise level. Many years ago we were banned from international cricket and most players had to play local Provincial cricket as it was then called. Some did go play the County Circuit. Competition then was fierce and the standard of play was mostly very high. Grounds were full for most matches. Admittedly, I don't think we had tv at the time. Not in the early days anyway. We then were allowed into International cricket and these same players performed exceptionally well against all sides. This, to me, mostly because of the standard of our local provincial sides. That we had players who would easily walk into this current Protea side perhaps had something to do with it. Thing is that the youngsters coming through then were being faced with having to face batsmen and bowlers with skill on wickets that weren't flat. So, again, I'd say our main problem lies with the Franchise competition. Now that's very easy to say but it's the HOW in how to improve it that's the big question. The 'good' players are very seldom available to play in the franchise leagues so where are these stronger players going to come from? Although I'm always on about the contracted players having to play locally I'm also aware that it's perhaps desirable that they also get to have the odd break or two. 

Perhaps the problem is much simpler than all that and we are presently in a cycle where we have only produced pretty average players and need to wait a year or two for the better quality player to come around again? Not often that you can have a squad of Richards, Proctor, McEwan, Pollocks, Kirsten, Rice etc all playing at the same time. Hopefully that day is just around the corner? 

Showmaxed

One other point @Beetle  , and then I'm likely done.

As much injury also comes into the equation and makes any theories thinner still, it's worth the reminder that in the middle of it Faf felt it necessary to give the team a very serious talking to re attitude issues. So fighting spirit clearly is a major factor however this is looked at.

EDIT: Quote by Faf, from: https://www.dailyvoice.co.za/sport/cricket/faf-hopes-harsh-words-will-help-to-lift-the-team-24857609

"The skills weren’t there today but I can promise you that there will be fights (hard words said). So the guys will make sure that they will get back into practice and try to make it right."

Showmaxed

I think it's a combination BB, and @Citanul  shows it's more complex than most of us pick up, which shifts re the chief concerns over time. But the wider perception is the same - not enough Proteas performance worth getting interested in. Unless you're a devout fan of the sport of course.

And that's been the case for years, everytime there's a hint of improvement it then vanishes. Or have I not seen enough to understand in these last few years - correct me if I'm wrong?

No problem if it turns out to mostly be a temporary natural lack of talent now, but I doubt it. I think we were doing a lot better a few months ago and for quite a while, for the first time in years, the unexpected extreme change back re performance says to me that there's more to it all and just happening again.

Highlighted
Doin' it 4 Tv

Must admit that I too am no longer as bothered with the results of the Protea games. Yes, I'd LIKE them to win but not too bothered if they lose. Can remember, when we returned to International Cricket, going to bed early and getting up and watching live from about 01:00 in the morning. Obviously only over the weekends. Nowdays the tv will be on the cricket and I'll sort of glance at it every now and then. Why this should be so I really don't know. Maybe there's just too much cricket on the tv? 

As for the Proteas having lost their fighting spirit? I don't really think that is the case with most of the players. Just don't think they have the abilities to cope with what is being asked of them. Overall the squad is just average with nobody really standing out as being a world beater. Also very inconsistent in their performances. A lot of the blame, I think, must be placed on Otis and his backroom staff. 

Australia fought back very well to reach the score that they did but this was mostly thanks to one player who came in low down and scored ninety odd. Unfortunately we don't have lower order batsmen that can do that. Morris....maybe? But doubt there's anyone else? Tahir, Shamsi, Rabada, Andile - he's coming along nicely but is still not someone that can be relied on to score 50 or so, Morris. That's half our side that played against India and although they did pretty well on the day they are not the players that can be relied on to score lots of runs every game. As Citanul stated before we lack a quality all rounder to bolster both our batting and bowling departments. (Sorry, was meant to be talking about the Australian victory but got carried away.) Australia do mostly show some grit and have the fighting spirit in them which does help. But with this one still needs the talent and it's this which I think we largely lack. Maybe a bit of the fighting spirit that Optimist refers to as well? 

Ok. I've just let my fingers and thoughts take control here and haven't really sat down and given much thought to what I've typed but will leave things as they are and let others pick the bones out of it. 

Showmaxed

The too regular lack of that local fighting spirit mostly turned me off years ago, and so I've lost interest in the sport in general by now.

Been watching the tennis the last couple of months, some of the "old" greats have been doing that kind of thing a lot this year.

Bye :-p

Red Carpet

Yup - that is how you make a comeback despite the early loss of several wickets! It's called a fighting spirit!

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Red Carpet

And then we get an example of why AUS are such a good team! 

What a way to pull off a narrow victory. Certainly sorted out the WI  NRR in the process as well.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Red Carpet

Looks like things went a bit south for WI. 247/6 with 35 balls left. Plenty of wickets available.

Only a small change in NRR will be the outcome. WI will be back at the top of the log If they win.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Red Carpet

WI 56/2 (10). On track to win.

Red Carpet

@GeoffD wrote:

Not sure if in our favour anymore.

Yes at this stage it is difficult to say - the only guaranteed thing on our favour would be to win some games!

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).