Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

World cricket

SOLVED
Showmaxed

Re: World cricket

@GeoffD wrote:
Positive? The only one was we beat AUS and in the process scrambled their eggs a bit for their knockout games.

Quite a surprise that we could given that they're one of the top contenders, and says a lot about what out team could be capable of.

The batting attitude was much better once they pushed it far enough into the start of the innings, only reason we had a chance.

Showmaxed

@Beetle wrote:

Can anyone think of any other positives that we can take from it?

Just that I think Phehlukwayo is a wildcard, sometimes getting wickets in unexpected ways, which is why I think Faf may have used him in our now usual knife-edge hour of need.

Don't agree with all your other thoughts @Beetle  , but with many of them, and I'm far less knowledgeable on the subjects these days to debate them so will leave it there :-D

Red Carpet

@Beetle wrote:

/snip....

..... In particular why Pretorius wasn't given more overs to bowl? He finished up with 2/27 off 6 overs but didn't bowl during the final 10 or so overs. Yet, at the death, Faf went for Phehlukwayo who had gone for a lot of runs in his previous overs. Shamsi as well? Just couldn't understand why, considering in the last over he bowled, Pretorius took a wicket and never conceded a run during this over. Perhaps Faf thought he wasn't experienced enough to be trusted at that time of the innings? Or he was injured? 

Yes, we were watching and we all asked the exact same question. Made no sense at the time but we won, so I suppose it was a good decision. Suspect that there was management interference in the background going on.

Positive? The only one was we beat AUS and in the process scrambled their eggs a bit for their knockout games.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Doin' it 4 Tv

Ok. I still rate Faf as perhaps the best person for the job of captaining the Proteas but only because I don't have much confidence in any of the current players being able to do the job. That said, who here watched the Protea versus Australia game and questioned how our bowlers were used towards the end of the Australian innings? In particular why Pretorius wasn't given more overs to bowl? He finished up with 2/27 off 6 overs but didn't bowl during the final 10 or so overs. Yet, at the death, Faf went for Phehlukwayo who had gone for a lot of runs in his previous overs. Shamsi as well? Just couldn't understand why, considering in the last over he bowled, Pretorius took a wicket and never conceded a run during this over. Perhaps Faf thought he wasn't experienced enough to be trusted at that time of the innings? Or he was injured? 

Anyway, we won two games at the end of the tournament which will possibly paper over the cracks that were there at the beginning of the tournament. I've heard it said that this is a young side and they've proven what they are capable of and therefore all is well going forward. I'm very pessimistic, as usual, about this. Players like Morris, Phehlukwayo, Markram need to be performing on a regular basis and not just occassionally. Somehow I still don't rate Morris all that highly. Takes quite a few wickets with what looks like bad balls to me and it's the batsman who seems to be getting himself out rather than him getting beaten by a good ball. But that may be me being too critical and missing something like Morris maybe taking the pace off the ball or something similar. 

Tahir, Duminy and Amla have, I think, all announced their retirement from some form of the game. Of those three the most difficult one to replace is going to be Tahir. Shamsi and Maharaj aren't bad bowlers as such but lack the skill levels of Tahir. Markram, when he becomes more consistent and "goes on" when settled in an innings, should be a decent enough replacement for Amla. Duminy lower down in the order and capable of an over or two could perhaps be replaced by Mulder? Although maybe Pretorius could be considered for this role with another batsman coming into the side (ODI).

At the end of the day the only positive that we had from this latest Cricket World Cup has been Van Dussen and maybe Faf's batting. Others had the odd moment or two of glory but by and large the team was disappointing. It's been said before but management from top to bottom will need to sit down and take a good look at themselves regarding this team and it's preparation/selection for this tournament. 

BoxOffice

Short response to Beetle :

Steyn and Amla, and maybe Duminy shouldn't have been there (injured and/or out of form), Bavuma wasn't selected. He was there, but as spectator.  Rassie hasn't played IPL, so maybe fresh and not playing with the T20-mentality.  I still rate Faf as the best captain on the field, with maybe Markram from the existing squad to take over.  

SLNB LMX501| Explora 2A (Primary 4,5,6) Explora 2A (Secondary 0,1,2) | Xtraview - decoders same room | 3 distributed HDMI endpoints via 2x4 Matrix
and Cat6 | 200/100 Fibre (OpenServe/Afrihost Premium UnCapped) | HD 5S in holiday mode
Doin' it 4 Tv

As always thanks to you to GeoffD. Always very helpful to me and to the others here. Appreciated. 

Showmaxed

@Beetle  , if you don't succeed, send it to me in a PM and I will post it for you.

Sending people to my link won't work, it only shows the reject items for the person clicking on it, not yours.

EDIT: Looks like it's worked. Don't edit it again though.

Doin' it 4 Tv

Ok. As Optimist suggests. Let's have another try. 

I too have been away for awhile and not had access to a tv screen showing the cricket so cannot make a proper assessment of the situation regarding the Protea team. So, these are mainly my thoughts on the subject. 

Faf I think is carrying too much pressure and this is affecting his game. Whether he has the correct insight and tactical abilities to lead the team are perhaps open to debate but for now I cannot see anyone better being available. Who is the current vice captain of the side? Quentin? Don't think he can handle the pressure myself. For now I'd stick with Faf and hope that the other players around him start performing as they should which would take some of the pressure off him. He certainly doesn't seem to be enjoying the game and I wouldn't be too surprised if he too announces his retirement after this tournament. Or, at the very least, relinquishes the captaincy. 

Rassie Van Dussen is the only shining light to come out of this tournament. Which brings me back to the weaknesses, or what I perceive as a weakness, of our Franchise system. I was under the impression that Van Dussen came through this system but, although he did, he has also played his cricket elsewhere. Caribean, Ireland, Uk and ..... one other country. So, even if the competition may not always have been all that strong, he did get practice outside of the country and had to adapt to foreign pitches. All of which must have helped him grow. 

Bavuma, with a decent average even if against weak sides, wasn't given much of a chance to prove himself before the side was selected. If the selectors thought he was a decent prospect then they should have played him in more games and perhaps left one or two other candidates out. Now they not only looking at him playing but are in fact making him the captain? Admittedly of the "A" side. Just think the selectors are very muddled in their thinking. 

Changes are coming but the change I'm most wanting is a change to the selectors and their policies. Watch the latest version of Inside Edge. Here they are saying what I've been saying for a long time. Not trying to be clever and hopefully not coming across as someone trying to "blow his own trumpet" but in the opinion of one of the "pundits" nobody within this current squad has an idea of what their role is. I don't really understand this as every batsman needs to score runs and every bowler needs to take wickets but apparently this is an important part of any side. Playing together as a team. Yet we went into this tournament without a settled starting eleven. I stated long ago that there was too much expirimenting with the team and that the selectors should have made a selection of players and had them play in a series or two before this tournament. Go with who they felt were going to be the best and get them playing together. This is what the "pundits" also agreed on. They also stated that if a player was injured before the tournament and hadn't recovered a month or two before the tournament started then this player shouldn't be considered. A bit controversial I suppose but does, with what's happened to Steyn, make sense. Selectors, again in my opinion, are to carry some of the blame for what has happened. 

Steyn? Injured and unable to play for us in the World Cup matches yet he has just announced how he's looking forward to playing in some other Big Bash type of tournament starting in the not too distant future? Has he announced his retirement from playing in Protea matches? If not then CSA should step in and refuse him permission to play. Let him recover fully from his injuries before making any sort of money making comeback. Yes, he does need to play games to show he is fully fit but let him do so on home soil. Even if it's only bowling in the nets. 

Highlighted
Showmaxed

Pleasure @Beetle  , but no, it's not back yet. You have to copy there, then paste it here.

And first type something else like "ok, trying again", which should make sure that works.

@GeoffD  - your link doesn't take one into the rejected tab there.

Doin' it 4 Tv

Optimist. What will I do without your everlasting help. Thanks. THINK the post is now back. Copy and paste. 

Well it did show as having been successfully posted but now it's once again dissappeared. What another failure by this Community Forum. 

I originally posted the lengthy comment and then, almost immediately, did an edit. I did then see the full article posted here only for it now to have disappeared. Still shows in that link you gave to me but when I copy and paste I get told it has been posted successfully only to then see that it's still missing. 

Anyone wanting to see what I posted please click on that link that Optimist has given. Thanks.