Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

World cricket

SOLVED
Red Carpet

Re: World cricket

Look at this page for your items that may have been placed there by the spam filter process, which happens if you try and edit a post too often too quickly. 

https://community.dstv.com/t5/premod/moderationitemspage/

The link will take you to a section where you will find your posts. It gives you the option to edit it, but that seldom works. I simply copy what I posted, delete the post off that list and repost with a new title. That normally sorts the issue out.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Showmaxed

Strange, I saw and read it @Beetle  - did you maybe edit it a few minutes later?

See if it's here: https://community.dstv.com/t5/premod/moderationitemspage/tab/rejected

(Maybe you can copy the text there then and re-post here, the Mods don't know how to work with fixing that false "spam" mistake.)

Doin' it 4 Tv

Will one of the DStv moderators here kindly advise what has happened to the reply that I posted yesterday? Thank you. 

Action

I think Du Plessis needs to shoulder some of the blame for the disastrous tournament.  I don't know the extent of his involvement, but he would have had a say in team and squad selections, so part of the poor decisions in that regard would have been on him.  And even though he's been scoring runs, he has been doing it a bit too slowly, which made it difficult to set a target that our bowlers could defend, or left the batsmen below him with too much to do when chasing.

I'm not sure whether or not he should step down as captain.  He won't be at the next World Cup, so the question is do we go for a new captain now or gradually ease the next guy into the job?  I see that A squads to tour India were announced yesterday, with Bavuma captaining the one-day side and Markram the four-day side, so it looks like they might be going for the easing the next guy into the job, and they've clearly identified Markram and Bavuma as being leaders of the team going forward.

Showmaxed

What about our captain, @Beetle  and @Citanul  ? Yesterday I thought I saw too much caution stubbornness and tension on his face for the batting role, but as the run rate went decently beyond what was fairly safe for us he (they) started to relax well and showed the talent really is still there. Can he lead with the wider pressure now on, and is he skilled enough to anyway? I like him and what's gone before from him but wonder if he's too soft as some are saying.

Amla's "LBW" was very amusing, and I think really rounded off the balancing of things out for him emotionally. I'd hate to see him leave anytime soon, hope he'll be able to do enough to keep going now.

I've always thought that any key new leaders should have a transitional period with old leaders still around, in a secondary status, maybe it can work with training etc. here if the old lot are willing to for the benefit of all?

BTW, the forum has gone very quiet so not sure how much involvement at all one can expect now, anywhere. But there seems to be plenty of readers, over 1500 the other day...

Action

I've been out of the country for the past two weeks, so I've only been able to keep track of the dismal performance from afar, which maybe wasn't the worst thing...

An observation I read somewhere else is that the best performers for South Africa have been the lesser lights, some of whom weren't necessarily seen as shoe-ins for the squad.  Van Der Dussen has continued to be a run machine, but he's upped his strike rate, which was the one area of concern about his batting; Phehlukwayo is averaging low 30s with both bat and ball, which is what you would want your 5th bowler/number 7 batsman to do; and Morris has had what is probably his best stint ever in a South African shirt.  Of the big names it's really only Tahir who's survived with his reputation intact, and even he hasn't been quite as good as he can be (although that's possibly due to conditions).

So the big question is where to from here?  Apparently Ottis Gibson had winning the World Cup as a condition in his contract in order for it to be renewed, which I did feel was a little harsh when I first read it, but 2019 has not been a good year for the Proteas, and I don't think he should stick around any longer.  Probably nor should any of the coaching staff as we've been poor in every discipline.

This does mean that whoever comes in in going to have a baptism of fire as a tour of India is the worst thing to subject a new coach to, but it has to be done.  Cricket South Africa do need to act quickly to appoint someone as he needs to have enough time to prepare for India as well as at least have some idea as to how to take the team forward to the next World Cup as we need to start preparing now.

I do believe that we have the players, and the names that were posted are a good place to start.  Most of them weren't ready for this World Cup, so the task is now to get them ready for the next one.

Showmaxed

The last few games I've watched were better from a performance point of view, so now that the competition concerns are "behind us", I'm just going to enjoy today's game in its own right. Maybe without the nerves it will also be a good one anyway.

Red Carpet

At least there is another team that gets lured into complacency and then loses. ENG thought SL was a walk over. When they woke up to the danger they had no chance of catching up. OF course, this is the worst outcome for us.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Doin' it 4 Tv

Haven't been watching too much of the cricket but England focusing on trying to make sure of the win rather than bothering about the run rate. Losing two quick wickets at the start of their innings didn't help them. Last I saw they had 117/3? Don't know how many overs have gone but even if it's 30 they still only need about 120 or so in 20 overs. So, no need for gung ho type of batting. Not just yet anyway. 
As I said it's all about winning the game at this stage and if that has to come off the last ball then so be it. 

Red Carpet

ENG  not exactly playing a convincing game against SL at the moment. Would have thought they would have got on with it.