Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Dstv now resolution settings on chrome

5 REPLIES
Doin' it 4 Tv

Re: Dstv now resolution settings on chrome

Streaming should not be considered unless accompanied by an decent uncapped account. Anything else will just leave you frustrated with the result. I have a PC with a twin tuner TV card that I used via RF connections , when I was still on a capped account. Kids also have RF feeds to their rooms. Due to "youth pressure" reasons I moved to uncapped and now are only using HD streaming on all these PCs. Will not go back to SD/RF viewing

In my opinion that is...

SLNB LMX501| Explora 2A (Primary 4,5,6) Explora 2A (Secondary 0,1,2) | Xtraview - decoders same room | 3 distributed HDMI endpoints via 2x4 Matrix
and Cat6 | 200/100 Fibre (OpenServe/Afrihost Premium UnCapped) | HD 5S in holiday mode
Trending

Very useful Jan,

So for those that believe streaming is a better idea than a subscription to a broadcast service need to do some sums before they decide.

Broadcast cost once a month  -- unlimited viewing of whatever your package offers.

Streaming service subscription cost PLUS the cost of data. IF you are a heavy tv viewer then that calculation may surprise a few.

The other aspect is ---  everyone will bitch and moan about the quality of a broadcast service, whether it is SD or HD and 720p versus 1080i versus 1080p, but when it comes to streaming and the bandwidth cost starts to bite, then it is okay to fall back to 360p

What a strange World we live in!

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Doin' it 4 Tv

I may be wrong but tte Screen resolution itself doesn't effect bandwidth usage

Herewith from the showmax blog on the subject

Managing data usage on Showmax is easy using the bandwidth capping function available via your web browser or Android, iOS and Apple TV apps.

Bandwidth capping settings can be accessed either via the app preferences menu or via the play bar when watching on the web.

Subscribers can select either a low bandwidth cap of 0.3 GB/hr, a medium cap of 0.7 GB/hr, or leave usage uncapped.

Watching five hours per week, which is enough for 15 episodes of The Big Bang Theory or 7 episodes of Suits, the maximum amount of data used would be:

• Low bandwidth cap (0.3 GB/hr): 1.5 GB / week
  • Medium bandwidth cap (0.7 GB/hr): 3.5 GB / week
  • Uncapped (1.4 GB/hr): 7.1 GB / week

The low usage setting equates to a resolution of 360p, the medium equates to standard definition 480p, while uncapped can deliver up to 720p high definition. All Showmax apps feature dynamic streaming with active monitoring of the connection speed and automatic adjustment of resolution to the make the most of the available bandwidth, up to the selected cap. To help estimate data usage, Showmax has created a bandwidth calculator. Simply choose the required quality level and the number of hours watched per week, and the calculator gives an estimate of weekly and monthly data usage. The calculator is accessible here: https://www.showmax.com/eng/go/bandwidth-calculator.

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S6   Samsung Tab
Doin' it 4 Tv

@Julia_DStv1 wrote:

Hi AfrikTron. You have the option to switch the screen resolution to our lowest offering which is 360p and uses approximately 210MB/ hr. You can adjust these settings by clicking on the settings logo at the bottom right corner of your screen. Your options are available there. 

Now01.jpg

Click on the blue one will give you the options mentioned by @Julia... 

SLNB LMX501| Explora 2A (Primary 4,5,6) Explora 2A (Secondary 0,1,2) | Xtraview - decoders same room | 3 distributed HDMI endpoints via 2x4 Matrix
and Cat6 | 200/100 Fibre (OpenServe/Afrihost Premium UnCapped) | HD 5S in holiday mode

Hi AfrikTron. You have the option to switch the screen resolution to our lowest offering which is 360p and uses approximately 210MB/ hr. You can adjust these settings by clicking on the settings logo at the bottom right corner of your screen. Your options are available there. 

Viewer

Dstv now resolution settings on chrome

Hi all.

I need assistance with adjusting my resolution for dstv now on my laptop to 240p or 360p.

I stream tv using my laptop and its depleting my data. a suggestion came that I should look into fixing that by looking into the resolution. Is there any way to do that through chrome or any other browser?

The only solution I am getting is through the screen resolution, which doesn't give me the above resolution.