cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Explora bandwidth limiting

Anime

Re: Explora bandwidth limiting

Network check on my Explora confirmed it, speed is 61.25Mbps.

So yes, it will suck your network dry during a download and there is nothing you can do about it.

Only way is to impose external bandwidth limiting to restrict this hungry Explora piggy from killing your network.

It seems that i shall now need to do the RTFM thing on QoS and bandwidth limiting on my Linux gateway to restrict the Explora data diet where one would have expected MC to have done this.

I feel sorry for users with limited data as this is a mission on it's own to manage.

Red Carpet

@krugie wrote:

If all else fails and if practical, try downloading CU+ content in advance (overnight) so there is no bandwidth required when watching.

That's what I sometimes do.

It's more of a bother with Showmax's stream-only service of course - but even with that I'll sometimes pre-buffer the whole streamed item, although that then holds up the Explora until watched.

One other trick - for needed short periods of freed-up use the Explora does allow CU+ streaming / downloading itself to be paused (in the Download Manager press the Play / Pause button). It also works when using Showmax.

Trending

If all else fails and if practical, try downloading CU+ content in advance (overnight) so there is no bandwidth required when watching.

Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Trending

I do know that some routers allow you to allocate usage to specific devices (or IP addresses) and/or priorities but I have never attempted to do anything like that. It will generally be under Bandwidth Settings or something along those lines. However, router software/interfaces vary greatly from router to router and most are not overly user friendly and can get quite technical. I would not really advise you play around with that unless you know what you are doing. A lot of damage can easily be done by changing the wrong settings.

Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Doin' it 4 Tv

Interesting stuff Smiley Happy I just use the embedded speedtest to check from time to time, which normally comes in at 80-90Mbps (except on those days that the caching servers break down Smiley Happy), given that the Explora is limited to 100Mbps. 

Will also do a test download directly from the cashing servers when I have buffering issues. Just be careful.. click on the link will start a 10GB download Smiley Happy.  Example below

MC01.jpg

Btw, my router does have QoS settings where I suppose you can limit IPs , but I couldn't be bothered with it. Also running a gigabit wireless network in the house, so no problem there either. Btw the pic below is a bit misleading, as it doesn't show the gigabit switch (with 5 active connections) on the Office AP  or the gigabit switch on the living room ap with 6 active connections)

20181229_103505607_iOS.png

SLNB LMX501| Explora 2A (Primary 4,5,6) Explora 2A (Secondary 0,1,2) | Xtraview - decoders same room | 3 distributed HDMI endpoints via 2x4 Matrix
and Cat6 | 200/100 Fibre (OpenServe/Afrihost Premium UnCapped) | HD 5S in holiday mode
Highlighted
Red Carpet

Ok, I'm not familiar with your system so others will hopeful add what they know.

BTW, as you have a busy household - the Explora can only use one stream at a time so limiting it to around 8Mbps (1MBps) is enough in theory.

However, some buffering is likely wise given the poor performance reported in the past with that service. I've no idea what would be best, I would think reserving 15 to 20 Mbps (2 to 2.5 MBps) total would be enough.

Anime

Hi Optimist

I was not actively monitorring the system, and was looking at something else when i noticed the high bandwidth usage on my Linux gateway.

I then pulled a realtime report of my LAN port and it showed me my Explora linked to 143.204.65.24 and the bandwidth was just over 60Mbps. I went to check and the they just started to watch some movie.
My Linux gateway run ClearOS and i have not implemented QoS or bandwidth limiting.

I shall do a test and start a movie in HD, about 4GB in size and the do a screenshot to post here.

Red Carpet

60Mbps doesn't seem possible from MC based on reported server behaviour, that's 7.5MBps! How are you monitoring and measuring that?

Someone here may know enough about the related modem / router settings to help with individual port configurations to limit that, where its software allows. Maybe @krugie  , @Luke7777  or @andrewgerm

Check over the next couple of days who may have been alerted and responds.

I've only used such settings in some PC software - my experiments suggest, for sharing with no other streaming underway, limiting the speed to 65% of "practical max", and with one other streaming device, limiting the speed to 43%.

Practical max appears to be around 108KBps per 1Mbps of line speed, so for your presumed 100Mbps connection(?) use 7MBps or 4.65MBps respectively.

(1MBps = 8Mbps)

That's probably all from me.

Anime

Hi GeoffD

Explora was downloading at just above 60Mbps... it seems to grab all the avalable bandwidth.

One would think that as bandwidth is still expensive in ZA, MC would have made that one of the main features.

Disconnection is NOT an option for me at the moment, once the "Sport Fanatic" is out of the house, i think that my MC account will then die, but until then i am stuck with this.

Red Carpet

Yes, there is  --- disconnect the Explora Smiley LOL

That is one of the penalties of making use of streaming services! You will ultimately, have to increase the capacity of your Internet connection.

There may be other ways, but I a dont use those facilities, so you will need to see if somene else responds.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM