cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

New Smart LNB LMX502

BoxOffice

Re: New Smart LNB LMX502

I do agree with you there B. But since I switched to the Explora 2A I found the need for more careful alignment necessitate the use of a FSM when settiing up the Caravan dish. It seldom takes more than 5 minutes to settup and align the dish. We camp at least once a month. Investing in a FSM made sense at the time. Funny enough I ended up using the FSM aligning fellow caravaners dishes more times than I used it on my own. My dish setup is designed to make alignment very easy as once the base plate is aligned using a compass the rest clip into place pointing the dish in the right direction and only minor alignment is needed. Being a 60cm dish it does need a bit of fine tuning to suit the Explora requirements.
Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
Showmaxed

MC, when you come back here with the detailed info you've offered please also let us know what your Field Services dept. advises for such an SLNB's alignment.

But not advice to use an accredited installer please, this info will be for those doing the DIY install they're entitled to do...

In the meantime - I've never used a FSM or other signal finding device on my premises, careful thought and using the decoders' signal values can be relied upon in my experience.

Anime

Wish I'd seen the post about specials last night but I've bought one of these this morning. I don't see myself getting another decoder ever, it's simpler than my current twin lnb and 5-2 switch and I save R150.

So not all bad. 

BoxOffice

All I see is ending up in a Caravan Park being asked to help aligning one of those gimball mounted 30cm dishes fitted one of these. 

When I first looked at the picture of the 502 O thought it would have been the ideal LNB for my Caravan dish untill I realised that proper alighnment would be impossible without the universal (legasy) port. 

Red Carpet

For me this is just MC taking another step in downgrading the importance of premium subscribers - probably the group most likely to have multiple XV setups - and focusing on lower tier subscribers and their needs. The worry is that many people will end up with this LNB without knowing or being advised any better until it is too late and - as Geoff mentioned - then end up requiring a new install all over again at some stage. I agree there is possibly a gap in the market and a need for this in some instances - but installer will just choose the cheapest option for all installation to make their price look best.

Other companies improve their product with each new release - we seem to be taking a step back each time.

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Highlighted
Showmaxed

Logic?

Nah, MC aren't too good with that are they, not with external interests anyway which they seem to continue to ignore despite that being their bread and butter.

But I think they're just filling a standard pricing cost gap here, mostly for basic use to replace what was in use before with mostly just older "single view" (stupid description!) decoders.

And it's been overdone as usual.

Still, re future direction, IMO although this is a small change to the market itself I agree there is much to worry about considering other recent parallel changes such as the spastic 5 series decoders (no RF) and the 4 & 5 series not being allowed to copy once.

Add to that the economic related wild content changes and it looks like an out of control jungle of activity. They're certainly opening the way for competition.

But too political for my blood these days, don't really care much what they do anymore.

BoxOffice

Yes not even the recommended price of R299 makes it worth while . I paid considerably less than that for my 2 SLNB's on black Friday. The second one needed for my caravan dish. I am also sure that the retailer did not loose any money on that sale. Some of the larger chain stores regularly sell the 501 for that price on their one week specials.
Red Carpet

But that will require the LNB to be installed twice! Where is the logic in that?

What is an added feature is the extend skew angle scale available, which is a good thing.

Next aspect is what this LNB is saying about MCs longer term strategies.

1. They continue to discourage DIY installations.

2. MC is continuing on its path to discourage multiview services using XV, back to support for only two decoders in XV.

3. Maybe (another dose of wishful thinking on my part) , the return of an high end multi view decoder?? 

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Showmaxed

I suppose a range is always useful, as long as every supplier of the 502 also continues to always have the 501 in stock.

As for such FSM usage, as usual MC only think about their accredited installers who one presumes will have been shown how to work with the issue by first setting up and testing with a basic LNB.

And one other new product is expected soon... ;-)

(Nothing exciting for high-end users.)

Red Carpet

Man LOL

What laugh! This leaked out many months ago. We decided not to place anything on the old forum. We never have to worry though, this stuff always leaks out in the end.

Yes Jan, I agree with you. Removing the Universal port is a very bad idea. How do many installers, campers etc. then use older, perfectly suitable FSMs to do installations? How do people use a single antenna for services from more than one source such as DStv and OVHD? Anyone with plans to expand their services at some stage will make a serious mistake installing this version.

The only matter in its favour is the price.

Maybe, someone had a re-think and realised that the negatives outweigh the positives?

@OP, you are not going to get anything superior to what the existing SLNB LMX501 offers. Replace your SLNB if you need to.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM