Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

New Smart LNB LMX502

Showmaxed

Re: New Smart LNB LMX502

@Geoff wrote:
The dstv.com website has not been updated re this new device either.

Good grief MC, what is going on with you these days!??? Bad service delivery failures EVERYWHERE!

Red Carpet

Thanks Jan for the info. My point is that not even MCs own website has the info and their own forum does not get the info. We either get the info from 3rd party sites or via the grapevine. Can't MC see what is wrong with this state of affairs?

There are two models of this SLNB available as well.

The LMX502 Z and the LMX502 W. Why two models at the same price? Is there a difference in the specs? What about the LMX501? Is that now also obsolete? 

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
BoxOffice

I got a spec sheet form the Ellies website but it being in pdf format cannot be loaded as an paper clip attachment. Recomended price R299

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
Red Carpet

What would be great is if MC could just reply to this thread with an official information sheet on the new SLNB giving the specs and a recommended price. Already, in PTA East, there are some crazy prices being quoted for this SLNB.

The dstv.com website has not been updated re this new device either.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Showmaxed

@Grace_DStv1 wrote:

Getting more info and clarity on the Smart LNB. 

I don't mean to be rude here, but your colleagues making this available to you should be on the same day...

Better still, we should have known, from MC, on the day of the launch.

Please also see Re: No Announcement

Showmaxed

I wonder how long it's going to be still before they start using "true Hi Band", another reason for moving past twin LNB's.

But there's still quite a bit of Horizontal "interim Hi Band" in theory, so it's anyone's guess...

(Geoff may know more about what's still available to MC on HOR.)

Red Carpet

@camsaway wrote:

Wish I'd seen the post about specials last night but I've bought one of these this morning. I don't see myself getting another decoder ever, it's simpler than my current twin lnb and 5-2 switch and I save R150.

So not all bad. 

Okay so they are now available on the shelves. Are you changing the setup because the current LNB and 5-2 switch is faulty? Or, is the change because you want to route the HB via the SLNB?

BEFORE you remove the current LNB, mark its position on the bracket so that you can then place the new SLNB in exactly the same position and orientation (skew angle), and it should work straight off.

And dont forget to adjust the userbands and frequencies as these are different for the SLNBs. The 5-2 switch required you to share userbands, which the new setup does not like at all, Each decoder must be set to use its own set of userbands and frequencies.

BoxOffice

Two things a Smart Phone. Preferable an upper end range with magnetometer build in and FSM. I have a Dish alignment app on the phone to find a spot with no obstacles in align with the satellite. The app uses the phone camera and the magnetometer for you to find the satellite and give you a view of the sky and what may be in the way. Once tou have a suitable spot is is only a matter of assembling the dish setup and do a bit of fine tuning. I am attaching a picture of the dish setup and will load the picture as well. Hopefully it will get approved and show as some point in timCaravan Dish.jpg

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
Showmaxed

Just saw your post Jan - yes, I agree that for a caravaner a FSM makes sense if within budget, and certainly the modern decoders are more sensitive so a better alignment effort is indeed needed.

Showmaxed

BTW, with my method it's likely to help quite a lot to have the additional use of a compass and satellite finding software (with your map coordinates). And if doing the initial dish installation yourself as well, a level indicator.