cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

New Smart LNB LMX502

Red Carpet

Re: New Smart LNB LMX502

Keep us posted please on the results and outcomes. Would it be possible for you to post a picture or a copy of the user and pamphlet that hopefully was included in the SLNB box?  Those signal levels are low for a 90 cm antenna.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Anime

Thanks, it's a 90cm dish that was installed with twin LNB in 2010 when I got an HD decoder for World Cup. Hasn't been touched since so it's possible that it wasn't aligned well to start with or has got out of position over time.

I did do a full factory reset after changing the LNB, so will have a go at skew, etc

Red Carpet

@camsaway wrote:

So, new cabling and new Smart LNB installed this morning.

On Decoder one getting 85/80, 80/77, 75/90 on the tuners (Explora 2A, Decoder mode 2)

On Decoder two getting 85/80, 77/77, 65/70 (Explora 1, Decoder mode 1)

Been a while since I had to play around. Do you think this will be good enough? Or do I need to get someone out to align properly? (Don't know what good is for the SLNB on the Explora's) 

Jan pointed out that maybe this install also makes use of a smaller 60 cm diameter antenna. This could affect the overall signal levels. However if the decoders went through a full reboot from scratch, the dynamic range would have been re-evaluated to take into account the lower antenna gain available from a smaller antenna. Therefore, after a full reboot, the signal level values should reflect better values IF the antenna was optimally pointed. 

Further, most smaller antennas installed by an installer are very rarely optimally pointed because it takes longer to get the best elevation and azimuth position. Hence, if after optimising the skew angle settings, no improvement is found, the antenna would have to be re-aligned. If this involves an installer, then it makes plenty of sense to replace the 60 cm antenna at the same time with a new larger 80-90 cm antenna.

ASSUMING the cable connectors are properly installed on the cables:

Signal levels are low and the quality levels are not really good enough for reliable performance especially in bad weather conditions.

The skew angle adjustment is probably what needs to be improved, but it could also be basic alignment.  Try to improve the skew angle first by making very small adjustments at a time in one direction until you definitely see a deterioration in signal level. Mark the half power point, then adjust in in the reverse direction till you reach the same half power point (50 or 60%). Halve the difference and set the skew there and see if this gives you better values especially quality which should be 100%.

If no real improvement happens then you will have to improve on the alignment (azimuth and elevation) or get someone in to do it for you.

Thanks for your input Jan

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Anime

So, new cabling and new Smart LNB installed this morning.

On Decoder one getting 85/80, 80/77, 75/90 on the tuners (Explora 2A, Decoder mode 2)

On Decoder two getting 85/80, 77/77, 65/70 (Explora 1, Decoder mode 1)

Been a while since I had to play around. Do you think this will be good enough? Or do I need to get someone out to align properly? (Don't know what good is for the SLNB on the Explora's)

Showmaxed

Geoff suspects they're trying to get rid of 3 decoder XV. Even if so, getting rid of the 501 would be suicide, even these nutters won't do that.

Highlighted
BoxOffice

@GeoffD wrote:

The LMX502 Z and the LMX502 W. Why two models at the same price? Is there a difference in the specs? What about the LMX501? Is that now also obsolete? 

I cannot see theLMX 501 going absolete. The 502 IMHO has a limited use. Not suitable for a 3 decoder XV setup unless you install a second dish and diplexers and extra HB cables and only unicale decoders. The absense os a unitversal port rule it out for use with the newer/olderdecoder combinations 

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
Showmaxed

I suggest we don't sink to their level, posting the specs sheet is still helpful to all of us even if not the ideal situation.

The prob is, when we run out of steam then this forum is likely to as well... and I for one am close to that!

Red Carpet

@Jan-Horn wrote:
Agreed. Perhaps it is to further discourage DIY installations.

I see this as a desperate deliberate move to block persons from easily migrating to the competing services available on IS 20. No universal port means no easy way to installed the competitor decoders.

BoxOffice

Agreed. Perhaps it is to further discourage DIY installations.
Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
Showmaxed

Jan, see my post I'm about to make in the pics thread.