Re: Noisy Explora 2A

@pcb wrote:

It is software D1.99 L5.0

Software L5.0 ?

The  latesed update is L35 

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
Red Carpet

Not true. Decoders swapped out by MC do carry a warranty but for a shorter period. If you have decoder insurance then the swapped out decoder is still covered.

So this out of context statement is pretty much wrong without more information.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
New poster

Fixed decoders are no longer warranty

Let us know if this helps.~

pcb
Anime

It is software D1.99 L5.0

pcb
Anime

Hi. 

It's definitely not the fan, I have checked.

I don't think the HDD is faulty, just very noisy. 

I am going to try securing the mounting to see if it reduces the vibration  

Hi @pcb , if the decoder has a spinning and not clicking sound, it may be that the fan is running at a high speed and there is nothing wrong with the HDD. Please confirm what software version you have under the information central screen.

Red Carpet

If you are not bothered by the warranty stickers, then a few have found that the HDD mountings can be repositioned slightly to prevent the HDD assembly from vibrating against the rest of the decoder (covers, etc), and that gets rid of quite a bit of noise.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
pcb
Anime

Thanks for the reply. 

It seems far noisier than the original Explora and, when I've checked, the fan hasn't been spinning, it is purely a noisy hard drive.

No warranty or insurance cover so will have to see if I can secure the HDD better or at least dampen the noise somehow.

Red Carpet

The HDDs in just about all MC PVRs hardly ever stop spinning because of all the background activity going on, BO and CU downloads, regular EPG updates, software checks, and service authentication activity. So placing them in STBY does very little. The noise comes from two sources, the cooling fan and the drive. Neither are repairable without compromising the warranties and or insurance cover. So, the normal process is simply a replacement of the entire decoder.