Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Old decoder recordings

SOLVED
New poster

Re: Old decoder recordings

Thanks for all your help Geoff. I need to reread your posts and have a good think. 

Red Carpet

The 4 cable story applied to the 4 tuner decoders before we had SLNBs available.

IF  RF amp you have  is certified to work with MCs HB signal may allow HB to be routed through the RF cabling.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Red Carpet

The new Explora decoder will connect to port A on the SLNB.

Run a new cable direct from the antenna, to the bedroom. That cable gets connected to port B the SLNB.

That sorts out the connectivity with some mods to the UBs used by the 2P decoder.

Now for the HB. I would NOT  try and route HB through the RF distribution setup you have, its a bit complicated.

Instead, the HB will now work over the LNB cabling. 

You will require a diplexer behind the 2P decoder.

Could you estimate the length of the cable from the antenna to the bedroom please?

Alternatively, both decoders in the same room then require the second cable from the antenna to be installed to the same room, and then, you could eliminate the diplexer.

The 60 cm antenna is only an issue during bad weather, but it depends on how well it has been aligned.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
BoxOffice

Yes

SLNB LMX501| Explora 2A (Primary 4,5,6) Explora 2A (Secondary 0,1,2) | Xtraview - decoders same room | 3 distributed HDMI endpoints via 2x4 Matrix
and Cat6 | 200/100 Fibre (OpenServe/Afrihost Premium UnCapped) | HD 5S in holiday mode
Highlighted
New poster

I forgot to come back to my original question.  If I have XV using the PVR 2P in the main bedroom, will I be able to view the old recordings in that PVR 2P?

BoxOffice

Forgot the Xview is covered already Smiley Happy 

SLNB LMX501| Explora 2A (Primary 4,5,6) Explora 2A (Secondary 0,1,2) | Xtraview - decoders same room | 3 distributed HDMI endpoints via 2x4 Matrix
and Cat6 | 200/100 Fibre (OpenServe/Afrihost Premium UnCapped) | HD 5S in holiday mode
New poster

Thanks Geoff.  At present I have a Smart LNB (version 2 I think) with a unicable, straight down to the lounge.  (When I first bought the PVR 2P I had a single LNB and that single cable, using SatCR.  But I found out how to get full PVR functionality by setting up I think a dozen other networks.  Except for not being able to record a channel with one polarity while the decoder was on the other polarity.  Despite what MC and the place that sold me the decoder said.  The latter told me that I had to have four cables.)

From the decoder via an old LG DVD recoder there is RF out to above the ceiling.  From there it splits to my housekeeper's room, a minor bedroom (no TV currently connected), my study, and the main bedroom.  Because the latter is about 14m away (plus the diistance to above the ceiling), I had an Ellies set back amp to boost the signal from the lounge.  I eventually replaced that with the "professional" version of the amp, to get a much better signal.

But as I said earlier I have no need  for XV in the house.  And I have an old remote blaster setup that already allows me to control the lounge decoder if I want to.  I thought I'd take advantage of the "Black Friday" price of R699 for the Explora 2A.  (I have bought it but can return it, the box is still sealed.)  Apart from it perhaps being a good idea for the future, my thought is to test XB in the main bedroom with a view to transfering it to my housekeeper later.

If I am getting a good (albeit boosted) signal in that far main bedroom, will I have a any problem with the heartbeat?  I also don't know if the current 60 cm dish is going to be good enough.

Red Carpet

1. No the recordings are not accessible without an active subscription.

2. XV costs nothing extra so there is no point in not connecting it up in XV when you get the Explora.

3. No there is no updated installation manual. MC   wants everyone to use accredited destructors and actively discourages DIY by keeping information only in the hands of installers.

BUT never fear, we are past masters at working it all out anyway.

Red Carpet

There is no additional cost involved in keeping the 2P connected as a secondary decoder to the Explora 2A. The PVR access fee covers two decoders under XV.

So just install both decoders, with the 2P as the secondary. The Explora comes with its own SC anyway.

As to item 3, No there is no updated installation manual.

All we need from you to advise you what to do is:

1. what model SLNB  do you have?

2. Do you want both decoders installed in the same room? Or in different rooms?

3. Do you want to distribute RF to other rooms and control the decoders remotely from those remote points via tvLINKS?

New poster

But I now realise you said you think the decoder has to be "active"  in the sense of being linked to DStv. So that's a no, which was not my expectation. But you are probably right  I have just tried taking out my smart card and I could see but not access my playlist. Same after rebooting. Which makes q2 even more important.