Did you mean: 
Need help?

Old decoder recordings

SOLVED
23 REPLIES
Highlighted
BoxOffice

Re: Old decoder recordings

Have a look at the Guidelines section of this Community. You will find a few threads about this issue there.

Have a look at the thread "Tips about the Community" where you will find a few things and an explanation where to find your lost posts. It is supposed to be possible for you to edit the post there but you need a masters degree in forum management to know what to edit out. You can delete your list of lost posts also.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
New poster

And now I've learned another thing.  Smiley Happy

BoxOffice

We all saw your post. What happened is you fell foul of the totally stupid Spam Moderator, which decides you have edited your post too many times and moves it to a section where a moderator is supposed to check it before releasing it again. Problem is no one is monitoring that section, so it now stays there until you fix it or delete it.

It drives us allmad and MC  is just not doing anything about the problem.

The easiest is jut to do what you did and make a new post.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
New poster

I can't see my final post in this thread.  What I had tried to say was that running a second SLNB cable is going to be a bit of a mission or at best unsightly.  The conduit that has the SLNB and terriestrial cables and ends at a wall plate in the lounge has no more room.  So I decided to return the still sealed Explora and wait until I had a real need for XV.  (When terrestrial TV eventually goes digital and a set top box is needed.  Then I'll consider putting XV in my housekeeper's room.)

But thanks again for all the replies.  I've learned some things.

New poster

Hopefully all clear now thanks Geoff  The second SLNB cable remains the (current) deal breaker. 

New poster

BoxOffice

Yes you can use the RF connection for the HB. That is not the problem. The decoder still requires its own connection to the LNB to work as well. Both are required, a satellite connection and a HB  connection for XV 

New poster

Hmm.  I had thought that I could link the two decoders for the heartbeat via RF.  But as it has to be a new cable from the SLNB I’ll return the Explora, it’s still sealed.  Until I have a real need.  Because installing a second cable is going to be a bit of a mission.  I don’t think the existing conduit has space, it carries the existing LNB unicable and the terrestrial that is only used in the housekeeper’s room.  Those two cables enter the lounge through a wall panel, so an extra cable will at best be a bit unsightly.  And at some later stage would have to be rerouted to her room.

As well as thinking no further cabling would be needed, I got tempted by the Explora price.  Now it’s more likely that when that “real need” arrives (terrestrial going digital and wanting to go XV to the housekeeper rather than a set-top box), I’ll probably wait for a good price and have an installer put in a 80 cm dish and the extra cabling.

But thanks again for all the advice.  I'm learning!

BoxOffice

You don't have to install the second decoder in another room. It can be placed in the same room as the main decoder. Then lots of things are simplified, because you already have an extensive RF distribution setup.

BUT, you do need to run a second cable from the SLNB to the PVR 2P. There is no other way out if you want to couple them as an XV setup.

And BTW, the SLNB cables are best connected to ports A and B on the SLNB, with thecExplora 2A connected to port A, and the 2P to port B, with the other 2 unicable ports terminated.

New poster

Update:  Running a new cable from the SLNB if the XV decoder is in the main bedroom is going to be difficult.  And I anyway don't need XV functionality there, my sole current objective is that the PVR is active so that I can view old recordings.  (BTW, I have realised that my SLNB is the original LMX500,  My unicable is attached to C, but as far as I know it could be any of the four unicable outputs.)  So current thinking is:

1.  View recent PVR recordings soon and be prepared to abandon all old ones if XV is not successful in the short term.

2.  Install the Explora 2A as primary, connected to the TV using HDMI1. 

3.  Try and install the PVR for XV at the primary in the lounge.  Then connect it to the TV using HDMI2 so as to access PVR recordings. 

3.  If 2. is successful as XV, at some later time move the PVR to my houskeeper's room.  And if the existing cabling is a problem then, I'll consider running a new cable from the SLNB.