Did you mean: 
Need help?

PVR freezing on some channels

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
BoxOffice

Re: PVR freezing on some channels

@krugie wrote:

I have recently had several freeze-ups on my Explora 1 as well as 2A - but only ever on channel 120 (even once a frozen-up recording). It has been reported to MC. Just pressing P+ or P- resolves it. It is possible it might happen on other channels but that is one I am often tuned to. Never had it on a Supersport channel though  (or M-Net) - both which I also often watch.

I have had  something like that on channel 120 as well and over the weekend on Supersport channel 106 while watching the F1 Grand Prix.

It may  not be the same problem as it is more like the channel pausing and then jumpung back to live streaming loosing a few frames in the process. 

Explora 2A (primary) Explora 3A Secondary SLNB LMX501  Samsung S9   Samsung Tab
Red Carpet

I have recently had several freeze-ups on my Explora 1 as well as 2A - but only ever on channel 120 (even once a frozen-up recording). It has been reported to MC. Just pressing P+ or P- resolves it. It is possible it might happen on other channels but that is one I am often tuned to. Never had it on a Supersport channel though  (or M-Net) - both which I also often watch.

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Showmaxed

@GeoffD wrote:
The models are: HD PVR2P; - single view single record.- think it is this one.

Yes it's the 2P - I found our old decoders' names thread (this section, second-last page).

Red Carpet

@Egmont wrote:

Right, it's a TDS8651MC made in China in 2011. I hope this helps you. There is unfortunately no other model identification on the unit. I am only a viewer and subscriber to DSTV! I have a Phd but if I need a specific PhD to use DSTV then I think I am the wrong client for MNET. I would like to subscribe to a service which works when I switch it on just like I pay it every month without asking questions. Thanks for your interest!

Heh heh!  We agree!  It is really a PIA that one has to worry about all these service authentication issues!  But, to try and help we need to know what decoder model it is.

The Pace ones are all Black in colour 

The models are: HD PVR2P; - single view single record.- think it is this one.

HDPVR 4P - single view record 2

Those are the normal ones.

There are known issues with ALL the older decoders around what happens when MC chooses to undertake its continually irritating service checks.  MC does this 4 times a day for sure, deliberately in prime viewing times, they say "because that is when we know most decoders will be on and not in standby".  The breakups appear on recordings made in those times as well. Picture freezes, pixelation, sound cuts, sound channel swops, black picture and loss of the buffer.

It drives me mad, but nothing we say or report has any effect on MC.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
New poster

It happens all day and on random channels. I know because I check the other channels when it happens on the channel I am on.

New poster

Right, it's a TDS8651MC made in China in 2011. I hope this helps you. There is unfortunately no other model identification on the unit. I am only a viewer and subscriber to DSTV! I have a Phd but if I need a specific PhD to use DSTV then I think I am the wrong client for MNET. I would like to subscribe to a service which works when I switch it on just like I pay it every month without asking questions. Thanks for your interest!

Red Carpet

When does the freezing take place? Time of day specific or random?

And how do you know it is not happening on other channels?

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Showmaxed

No, there won't be any plot involved ;-)

Different types of channels behaving or not from a technical perspective, often relates to alignment or partial faults.

Check my last post again to see my further info edit, and answer Geoff's remaining questions and he should help you narrow it down.

New poster

Thanks Optimist, you are right that we actually have Xtraview. I've checked all the connections to the PVR and they seem to be fine and surely if the connection were bad then ALL channels would be affected, right! I think that I'm being "tempted" into buying a new decoder as it's only my favorite channels that are playing up like this. This is artificial intelligence at its best.

Red Carpet

Be a little more specific about what decoders you are referring to.

Dual view? Old MC dual decoder with no PVR functionality?

PVR?  Which one? HD PVR 2P/2U? 4P/4U?