cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Poor HD picture quality all channels

New poster

Re: Poor HD picture quality all channels

Viewing 186 now, "Ultimate wheels".   Very distorted, cannot make out speech.  400 (BBC) is perfect

Your disinterested call centre lady said my TV is faulty since "no-one else complained"

Why are you so unhelpful and refuse to accept critisism?

New poster

I have requested a side by side test at Hirsch which I will do next week. I will also try the Samsungs performance.

I have also seen overseas forums talking about Raised Black Levels related to Dolby Vision when using the OLED TVs. It appears that the LG OLED C6, C7 and C8 models of 2016/2018 still have this issue. From what I have read LG have not as yet resolved the issue.

The Sony OLED from what I have read have corrected this problem with a software update in June 2018.

Apparently LG have not accepted this as a problem as it could result in a class action if they do.

Some posts are saying LG are working on a solution.

Could this could be part or even all of the cause of the picture issue I am having. Realistically it could have nothing to do with the 720p or 1080p signal.

Time will tell.

Anybody else have a 65" C8 LG OLED.

Highlighted
Nominee

Sorry, something we should have added that could likely help - on some TV's at least, there is quite a noticeable difference to the eye between the better 1080p and the other two formats.

So you shouldn't be comparing DStv to standard BluRay which is 1080p, you need to find another source of 1080i or even 720p and compare that on your TV.

I presume you have had a full HD TV and HD from DStv before, and that the difference was not noticeable then? If so, it somewhat speaks about the TV's ability, not MC's broadcast quality. As mentioned, others haven't come here and queried this.

I don't think we can offer any more insight.

Red Carpet

MC is unlikely to provide any better info than what is already been provided.  Have you seen what the so called demo TV does when get connected to a DStv decoder? Or have you tried your decoder with another TV at the place where you bought the TV from?

Have you checked through the settings?

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
New poster

Still no help from DSTV

TV replaced still having the same problem.

LG said they do not have a problem with a demo set.

I have no option but to return the 65" OLED because of the poor quality black level control using the DSTV signal.

Any help in getting a solution would be great.

Red Carpet

So here is the problem.  The settings available on the decoder were rather well explained with the older decoders, IF one RTFM. Not sure what the case is with the Explora decoders, as there is no paper manual anymore, one is supposed to access the help channel I assume.  In any case, the settings available on the 4 tuner decoders are all related to the HDMI Output, which implies that the decoder will downscale and upscale depending on what you set the output to be. The facility is supposed to help one match what the TV is capable of ---. Not much use anymore as most TVs are quite clever in determining what the input signal is these days.

The 4 tuner decoders have 576i (PAL), 575p, 720p, 1080i, Native, Original

The manual also explained what these settings mean.

Original -- decoder will select the output to match the broadcast

Native -- decoder will send the TV a list of supported resolutions and the decoder and TV will negotiate which to use based on the best the TV supports.

If any of the fixed settings are used, the decoder will use that for the output irrespective of what the input is, in other words it will upscale or downscale. 

So it is pretty easy to check what is broadcast by a specific channel and at a specific time.

So If you do not set a fixed value, one needs to understand what the TV is going to do the incoming signal, take it as it is or upsacle or downscale based on the settings.

No wmy TV tells me when I connect to decoder or change channels what the incoming resolution is BUT ONLY if I set the TV accordingly, and the decoder is set on original.

Over to those with Exploras to describe what their decoders and TVs do.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Nominee

Progressive does not mean HD, any digital option for 720 or 1080 is HD.

MC used to use 720p for sports broadcasts long ago. We're just not sure if all channels now use 1080i, we were only told that most do back when it changed.

The info we got before is from senior MC managers, they are no longer part of the forum so info now may be less accurate (although some of them can apparently be consulted with).

I'm also going to mention that your specific concerns about picture quality are the first we've seen in all these years, and on the older forum we had a commercial expert available (he's only here very occasionally now).

I'm done, all the best with it.

New poster

As far as I was aware 720p = progressive scan. The maximum HD signal we receive.

720p can be sort of up scaled on your decoder to 1080i (interlaced) by selecting the 1080i option. On the Explorer 2a there is a setting that allows you to select 1080p.

I can if I wish take the 720p or the 1080i up to 4k on my other equipment.

I don’t see the point of taking a lower signal quality and multiplying the errors unless you have a very good upscaling unit.

I would like DSTV to confirm the signal they send us.

Mods can you verify the signal broadcast?

Nominee

MC did confirm it long ago. I posted that it's 1080i earlier, OP chose to ignore that or forgot.

Red Carpet

Throughout this thread, OP has insisted that MC transmits HD at 720p. When I check my setup everything indicates that MC is transmitting at 1080i.

At least MC could do one thing in this thread and confirm that HD content is transmitted at 1080i or not.