Poor HD picture quality all channels

Re: Poor HD picture quality all channels

@orsum1 - thank you, we'll get to it. 

New poster

PM Sent

orsum1

@orsum1 - we'll try check with the emails team. PM me the email address used to help. 

New poster

The TV has been replaced and I can see an improvement. The black details are better but not what I expected from a TV of this quality/cost. Obviously there was a problem with the first TV.

I can improve the black detail on the new TV by increasing the brightness by 5 points but that has resulted in the black background being an off black. To me this setting defeats the objective of the advertised black levels being the best on the market.

The B/Ray picture quality remains good without any changes.

My opinion at this point is that there is a bit of a shared responsibility in the picture quality in that the 720p transmitted is not good for a high quality TV and the OLED of LG not being fully able to handle the 720p content from DSTV.

I will be contacting other OLED TV owners to see if they have the same issues. I have also requested LG to contact me on Monday to discuss a solution.

I have sent several emails to DSTV and have had one reply with was not very helpful. Since that reply I sent a further several emails to the sender. I have requested my concerns to be raised to the correct technical support and to upper management for help and advice. Since the first reply I received and my several subsequent emails DSTV have not contacted me.

I have no idea why DSTV are now not answering my emails asking for help.

New poster

Decoder setting presently on 1080i and Pal 1

I remember a long time ago compatability with various TV's was causing issues. I thought that was a thing of the past.

Will check if LG if they are aware of any issues.

Dont think its the Explorer, its doing the same with the HDPVR.

Bad picture transmitted at source = Bad picture out at end users? Depending on end user equipment?

I must also say that some of the HD sport quality close up is very good. Better than my old Plasme.

Red Carpet

If the BluRays are playing fine then I am not 100% convinced the problem is with the TV (although I guess it could still be a setting) - but unfortunately I don't have the technical knowledge for this TV to assist. Best to have someone come out to have a look.

On my Explora, under User Preferences/Video & Audio I have the HDMI output as 1080i50 (which is the recommendation for a Full HD TV) - 720p is recommended for HD Ready TVs - and my TV Type is set to Pal I - just check that as well.

Worst case scenario the Explora is somehow incompatible with your 4K TV but that will be a real sad state of affairs.

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Showmaxed

The problem will likely be decoders compatibility with the TV, the manufacturer may have a new firmware update for you.

MC mostly broadcast in 1080i.

Maybe the Mods will be checking if it's a known TV to have problems.

New poster

I have tried all the other HDMI ports on the TV no change.

I also have a very good B/Ray player it’s Cambridge with 4K upscaling.

The pictures are of the movie Tarzan which I watched live and recorded several times.

I also have the B/Ray movie Tarzan in my collection and playing it directly to the TV or via my system at 720p, 1080p or up scaled to 4k by the B/Ray player the picture is stunning. This was just one of the reasons I was advised it was my older PVR or my installation causing the issue. 

The broadcast as far as I am aware is done at 720p. Setting my Cambridge player output at 720p then I would think I should get the same picture quality. I don’t DSTV is not good and the B/Ray picture is fine.

Is it the TV that’s at fault??? Is it because its 4k???

The problem is with all movies being broadcast from the DSTV system. I have many of the same movies on B/Ray. The B/Rays are great DSTV is not.

My previous TV was a 60” plasma.

Red Carpet

It could potentially be a setting on the TV under colour settings or elsewhere but I agree - probably more likely the TV itself.

Have you tried a different HDMI port on the TV? And you don't by any chance have a blu-ray DVD player or something else that outputs HD quality to connect to the TV and see what that quality is like?

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Showmaxed

Just to add - based on the second photo, suggest you also post the name of the movie and when it was on. Sometimes non-HD content is broadcast, but that's more usually on eTV movie channels.