Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

SOLVED: Explora Wifi Connector not meshing with my mesh

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Red Carpet

Re: Explora Wifi Connector not meshing with my mesh

Yes, correct. The argument goes that MC and BTW, deco blocks access to certain config changes to "protect users" from themselves. It means then that more savvy users are prevented from making changesxas well. So, in the end, we are all equated to the dumbest idiots out there using the LCD principle.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Anime

Great explanation, thanks Geoff.

This is then definitely something MC needs to take a look at, especially considering that the hardware actually have the capability. Something like the ChromeCast is also a, mainly, non-roaming device and has no problems at all connecting when fast roaming is enabled. Not sure this is a fair comparison, but both these devices are optimised for high capacity streaming and should not be considered a limiting factor by MC. 

Red Carpet

Yes that is correct it the only way to sort out the problem.

Note. This mostly because of the way DECO  chooses to implement the FR standard, BUT  also be cause of the way MC  has chosen to implement the AC standard. A small parameter change in both environments fixes the problem BUT BOTH  changes have to be made.

Now MC has embedded the configuration of the extender into the Explora sw, and does not allow users access to the extender configurations.

The hardware is fine, but as usual, the way in which MC CHOOSES to program the thing is at the root of the problem.

The extender is optimised for high capacity streaming. Small little el cheapo devices are not. That IS  the key difference between the extender and any other device you may want to use in you network.

The argument is the decoder and extender is not expected to ever require to to roam "fast" between nodes on the network, so why optimise its configuration for such an eventuality?

The el cheapo devices are never used for extremely high capacity throughput, so why optimise them for that eventuality? Hence, their configs are at the very basic level with very little capacity optimisations done.

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Anime

SOLVED: In the TP-Link Deco app, go to "Advanced settings" and disable "Fast Roaming". 

With Fast Roaming disabled on the mesh, the DSTV Wifi Connector connects without any issues. Not even cheap Sonoff switches (ESP based) devices have this issue, but hey, it's working now. 

Red Carpet

There is a long and at times nastybthread about the pos called deco m4 mesh not being downward compatible with legacy devices when certain settings are set.

Anime

SOLVED: Explora Wifi Connector not meshing with my mesh

I have a TP-Link Deco M4 mesh network at home and the DSTV wifi connector simply refuses to accept my wifi password. I've tried changing the password, but no luck. None of my other (old or new) devices have any problems connecting to my network and this little dongle is driving me nuts. 

Does anyone have any experience with this? My next step (once everyone is off the network) is to turn off all the meshed access points, except the main one, and see if that solves the issue. I'm not holding my breath.