Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Some Nostalgia, InfoKey

7 REPLIES 7
Red Carpet

Re: Some Nostalgia, InfoKey

Carlton (I think it then changed to Carlton Select) was a UK general entertainment channel with programs from the US as well as UK. They also had the Carlton Food Network which shared the same satellite feed - so each channel was on for a certain number of hours per day. From what I recall, all the programming was very old/dated but still some of it had never been seen in SA so I did occasionally watch the channel. See Carlton_Select

I can remember Supersport International but not why it was called that - I think it might have only shown non-SA sport? I tried a Google search now and found a News24 article from when Supersport International changed to Supersport 3 in 2001 though. Supersport International

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Doccie

Wow some interesting stuff right there. 

Interesting to see that the DMX bouquet always consisted of 40 channels. Also interesting to see how those 40 channels evolved over time to the current genres. 

Anyone care to explain certain channels that were on DStv that some of us have never heard of, like the Carlton Channel and what Supersport International was?

Highlighted
Doccie

It was called InfoKey, it came with the TV magazine a few times. The 660 was the latest model in this book, will update with more scans later.
BoxOffice

and ESPN .....

SLNB LMX501| Explora 2A (Primary 4,5,6) Explora 2A (Secondary 0,1,2) | Xtraview - decoders same room | 3 distributed HDMI endpoints via 2x4 Matrix
and Cat6 | 200/100 Fibre (OpenServe/Afrihost Premium UnCapped) | HD 5S in holiday mode
Doin' it 4 Tv

Certainly do get a lot more channels for our money these days but at the rate Premium customers are leaving MC, reportedly 100 000 during the last financial year, we may soon be back to that total of channels in the future.

Red Carpet

Sjoh.. 2 Supersport channels! And not much remained of the General Entertainmnet channles from that era! Man Surprised

Octo-LNB to 24-1z/5.2 switches. Explora1 (Prim) & HDPVR 2P (Sec), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture & audio via Onkyo TX-NR626
receiver. Explora 2 in bedroom, HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV. 100Mbps M-Web fibre (OpenServe).
Red Carpet

Which decoder manual was that?

Octo LNB; 2 by 2x4 MS; 2 by ES 5-2; Dedicated PSU for LNB, ES's, MS's; HD PVR 4P x 2; Explora 1; DSD 660; FSM
Doccie

Some Nostalgia, InfoKey

I found this booklet while cleaning the garage recently. I will get around to scanning the whole thing if anyone's interested. In the mean time, here's a page with all the channels available on DStv around Y2K Smiley Happy

See the attatched image on the side >>>>