Welcome to Technical Info

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Which channels to use for testing (copy from old forum)

SOLVED
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Nominee

Re: Which channels to use for testing (copy from old forum)

MC seem to be fiddling with the current suggested transponder for HOR, so instead of ch. 343 , I suggest rather using ch. 341 "Faith" for now which meets all the requirements discussed.

262 "Tshwane TV" is still fine for VER testing.

Nominee

Which channels to use for testing (copy from old forum)

2015-12-05 , 18:29

Optimist

Changes remote batteries hourly

Which channels to use for testing

A handful of us helping with installs (and I'm sure some other DIY enthusiasts) have considered and also debated privately which are the best channels to use for doing tests related to Vertical and Horizontal polarisation etc.

Recently observed issues have had me more carefully examining this, am now going to stick to 262 Tshwane TV - Vertical , and 405 ANN7 - Horizontal.

[*See changes made to 405 lower down, now replaced with 343.]

Both are available on all packages including EasyView.
Both are locally sourced channels so less likely to be affected by additional problems.
Both give consistent 100% signal quality and higher than average signal strength values in my usage.
Neither have sometimes confusing SD & HD versions, just SD.
262 is only available to South African subscribers so it would help discover that often influencing factor when we have a non S.A. visitor.

(But channels are sometimes shifted to another transponder so not necessarily a permanent choice.)

Any others with ideas about this thinking?

Aaand.... roll on the further complication of Lo & Hi band from ± 2017

Last edited by Optimist; 2015-12-05 at 18:35. . Reason: Another reason

2018-02-08 , 12:25

Optimist

Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:

Originally Posted by Optimist

Recently observed issues have had me more carefully examining this, am now going to stick to 262 Tshwane TV - Vertical , and 405 ANN7 - Horizontal.

Time to change this, for obvious reasons...

I'm suggesting channel 343 instead - AFAIK meets all the same requirements in post #1, and it's on the same transponder as 405 is (until August I think), etc., etc.

These two channels should always achieve minimum recommended signal values on for instance the Explora, else something isn't right.
Here's the details for those needing it;

Quote:

Originally Posted by Optimist

For your Explora you can get away with the following (ignore tuner 2, it's only accurate during recordings);
Signal Strength around 70%+ on tuner 3, around 80%+ on tuner 1 (and 2).
Signal Quality around 90%+ on all tuners.

You need to check both polarities, so use both of these channels for testing tuner 1 (and 2);

This method has worked without report of any delivery failures on the forum for over 2 years now.
Comments or suggests very welcome.