Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

The Lounge

Highlighted
Doccie

The Lounge

Since everyone else is asleep...

I'm making this Lounge thread on one condition - although what's still valid of the old rules are posted below (subject to MC's amendment), I am in no way responsible for that nor will I monitor this thread or criticise any "offenders".

MC must do these things themselves now, especially with a more full time staff involved.

Rules:

1. No discussion about MC, its services or its products etc. in this thread, that is meant for anywhere else on the forums.
2. For standard day-to-day interests only, no illegal activities / discussions (you can be prosecuted for encouraging that), politics, religion or the like, and demographics should only be touched on fleetingly. Also it's suggested to keep TV tech and sport etc. to a minimum as there are already sections for all of that. TV viewing thoughts and computers chats tend to go well in the lounge.
3. Cyber-bullies beware.
4. Please be tolerant, we all come from many different walks of life. Also, what is of interest to ladies may not be to gentlemen and visa-versa, please be patient with others' interests.
5. Remember, this Forum has no age restriction, be careful what you post about. And being first and foremost a business Forum, let's try keep it "gentle".
6. Do not post any of this casual non-MC part of these discussions anywhere else but in this one thread.

Testing signature - the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog - the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
29 REPLIES
Doccie

Re: The Lounge

Wooohoo!!! 😀

Explora
Doccie

@Optimist

Spoon feed me please: Do we only make Mmmmmmm noises? If we make AAARRRGGGHHH! noises surely that is making a comment about MC and it's services and products? What about computers, do we offload about the BEEP! we are having with the machines, or advertise the brilliant machine that I recently acquired? Can we ask or give gardening tips, discuss what type of manure is the best for growing veggies? Maybe we can touch on music, who do we class as the most exciting blues guitarist at the moment, was Hendrix indeed the guitar God that most proclaim he was? Who likes to cook, like in the kitchen, baking, making preserves, bottling that crop of PeppaDews? Not throwing a string of boerie and half a cow on the coals, our women do that now-a-days! What is the easiest way to make sour-dough? Should we do health? Which supplements works the best? I it a waste of money to use them? Can we do alcohol? Which is the most popular craft beer? The smoothest plum red cab you've had? Which outlet is running specials on Woddies? This is after all a social forum and maybe we can earn Kudos if we ***** our ***** **** enough ** MC's ****!

Oh, Dear! This will probably be spammed, it is waaaay tooooo loooooong

Skill is a trade.
Doccie

@Metallicson

Most of what you mentioned will be fine :-D

While you still can, maybe look at some of the last lounge's 3167 posts for some clues...

Here's the thing - we nagged MC for years for a lounge, which they felt didn't belong on a business forum. Then I snuck one in (the poor new Mod who allowed that is loong gone), and we managed to come to a compromise.

Remember - DStv caters to all walks and crawls of life, so no strong discrimination or disrespect is tolerated.

That said, not my job... enjoy ;-)

Testing signature - the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog - the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
Doccie

That was quite a bit you threw out there, so I'm taking your music suggestion given that I have minimal interest in most of the other things you mentioned.

@Metallicsonwrote:

who do we class as the most exciting blues guitarist at the moment

I'm not much of a blues fan, so the only current blues guitarist I know is Joe Bonamassa, but he would have my vote not just by default but also because he is really good.

was Hendrix indeed the guitar God that most proclaim he was?

I find it a little difficult to assess Hendrix fifty years later.  There are certainly more technically skilled guitarists than him, but I suppose what he did was elevate the role of the guitar, giving it far more prominence.  There weren't too many (if any) people doing the sort of things he did before that, so in terms of influence he definitely deserves the status of a guitar legend.

Doccie

Thanks Optimist. I haven't been online for the past couple of days and would have tried, again, to create this thread. Did look a couple of days ago but couldn't, still cannot, see where one creates a new thread. Much appreciated.

I'll try to avoid mentioning a certain company here, see how good I am there? - Smiley Happy, but sometimes we do differ in our interpretation regarding what can or cannot be mentioned regarding them. But I'LL TRY!!!

Now to see how many people actually come and visit here.

Metallicson, you mentioned lots of topics in your post. Perhaps you should choose one of them and start a discussion on it? I cannot play any musical instrument and my singing would cause anyone to rush out for earplugs and more but you mentioned the name of Jimmy Hendrix as a guitarist. I have only seen him in the film "Woodstock" and quiet frankly his guitar playing, such that I'm aware of, is mostly plain noise. Have heard but perhaps I haven't seen enough of his playing of the guitar?

Doccie

Ah See Citanul took the Jimmy Hendrix comment and replied to it. As he says Hendrix is rather a difficult person to rate as a guitarist. But he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame so I must presume that he was more than just a "noise" as I stated in my earlier post. Suppose that before he went out on his own he must have played with other bands and would have had to tone down his style somewhat to fall in with whatever it was the rest of the band were playing.

Although I don't really like his music, not being a fan of real heavy music, I suppose that he could handle his guitar pretty well. Playing it behind his back at times. Then at other times playing with his teeth. Hey this is something I can do? (False teeth hee hee).

But as to who the best guitarist is I really have no idea. Always though Mark Knopfler of now defunct Dire Straits was very good.

Doccie

@Citanul

Great, I meet a FAN!

I absolutely agree with your statement re: Jimmy, but when you hear that guitar howling at 16 yrs of age, it was difficult to ignore.

You have made my day! I am a BiiiiiiiiG fan of Joe, saw BCC @ Shepherds Bush Empire Dec 2010, the Live over Europe tour, he  looked awkward wearing jeans instead of a suit. What an outfit! Glen's singing is as good as it was in the 70's, and to experience the master drummer's son, Jason..... Wow! He obviously likes to surround himself with classy musicians, like when he used Anton Fig on some Gigs.

Skill is a trade.
Doccie

@Beetlewrote:

Metallicson, you mentioned lots of topics in your post. Perhaps you should choose one of them and start a discussion on it? I cannot play any musical instrument and my singing would cause anyone to rush out for earplugs and more but you mentioned the name of Jimmy Hendrix as a guitarist. I have only seen him in the film "Woodstock" and quiet frankly his guitar playing, such that I'm aware of, is mostly plain noise. Have heard but perhaps I haven't seen enough of his playing of the guitar?

I don't know exactly what Jimi Hendrix played at Woodstock, but it might have been some of his noisier songs.  He was one of the first guitarists to make use of distortion, but while some of his music had a heavier aspect to it (for the time), songs like Hey Joe and The Wind Cries Mary are bluesier and more toned down.

Doccie

@Metallicsonwrote:

@Citanul

Great, I meet a FAN!

I absolutely agree with your statement re: Jimmy, but when you hear that guitar howling at 16 yrs of age, it was difficult to ignore.

You have made my day! I am a BiiiiiiiiG fan of Joe, saw BCC @ Shepherds Bush Empire Dec 2010, the Live over Europe tour, he  looked awkward wearing jeans instead of a suit. What an outfit! Glen's singing is as good as it was in the 70's, and to experience the master drummer's son, Jason..... Wow! He obviously likes to surround himself with classy musicians, like when he used Anton Fig on some Gigs.

I never actually got into Black Country Communion - I've only heard a couple of songs, but they didn't really grab me and they slipped off my radar as a result.  There's no denying the calibre of the musicians involved, so perhaps it's worth revisiting them.